Italy, Campobasso, Civil Registration, State Archive (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Italy, Campobasso, Civil Registration (State Archive), 1809-1918
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Campobasso Province, Italy|
|Flag of the Italian Republic|
|Flag of Campobasso City|
|Location of Campobasso Province, Italy|
|Record Type:||Civil Registration|
|Title in the Language:||Stato Civile di Campobasso, Italia, 1809-1918|
|Campobasso State Archives, Campobasso, Italy|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Known Issues with This Collection
- 7 Citing This Collection
- 8 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This collection contains civil registration (stato civile) of births, marriages, and deaths within the custody of the State Archive of Campobasso (Archivio di Stato di Campobasso). Records for this collection cover the years 1809-1918.
The collection also may include:
- Indexes (indici)
- Marriage banns (notificazioni o pubblicazioni)
- Marriage supplements (processetti)
- Miscellaneous records (atti diversi)
Availability of records is largely dependent on time period and locality.
Whenever possible, FamilySearch makes images available for all users. However rights to view images on our website are granted by the record custodians. Italian Data Privacy rules prohibit making certain records publicly available for viewing. This includes birth records under 110 years old, and marriage or death records under 70 years old. The Italy, Campobasso, Civil Registration, State Archive collection is available to the Family History Library, FamilySearch Centers, and to members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The images are also available to all viewers at The Portale Antenati (Ancestors Portal).
For additional information about image restrictions, please see the Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections page.
Reading These Records
For help reading these Italian records see the following guides:
- Italy Language and Languages
- Italian Genealogical Word List
- Script Tutorial for Italian
- Italy Handwriting
- FamilySearch Learning Center videos:
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Italy, Campobasso, Civil Registration (State Archive), 1809-1918.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The following information may be found in these records:
For details about the contents of these records, their history, and help using them see the wiki article: Italy, Civil Registration (FamilySearch Historical Records)
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Your ancestor's given name and surname
- Identifying information such as residence
- Estimated marriage or birth year
- Family relationships
Search the Index
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select Comune o frazione (Municipality or Fraction)
- Select Registro e L'Anno (Register and Year) to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Italy, Campobasso, Civil Registration (State Archive), 1809-1918. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Add any new information to your records
- Use the information to find more. For instance, use the age listed in the record to estimate a year of birth, if that is yet undetermined
- Make sure to fully transcribe and cite the record entry for future reference; see the section Citing This Collection for assistance. Save or print a copy of the image
- Compile the entries for every person who has the same surname; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual. This compiled list can help you identify possible relations that can be further verified by researching vital records indexes in the country
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?
- Italy Church Records are also a good substitute when civil records of births, marriages, and deaths cannot be found or are unavailable
- Check for variants of given names, surnames, and place names. Transcription errors could occur in any handwritten record; also, it was not uncommon for an individual be listed under a nickname or an abbreviation of their name
- Your ancestor may have immigrated to another country. Search the records of nearby areas or Italy Emigration and Immigration records
- Search the indexes and records of local genealogical societies
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
- New information is constantly being indexed, microfilmed or updated. Periodically check back to see if your ancestor’s records have been added. You can see if the area you’ve been looking in has been recently updated by going to Historical Records Collections. Watch for an asterisk for recently added or updated records
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Italy.
Known Issues with This Collection
| Problems with this collection?|
See a list of known issues, workarounds, tips, restrictions, future fixes, news and other helpful information.
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to email@example.com. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Italia, Campobasso, Stato Civile (Archivio di Stato), 1809-1918." Database with images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 10 January 2019. Archivio di Stato di Campobasso (Campobasso State Archives, Campobasso).
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.