Italian Indexing and Handwriting Helps
From FamilySearch Wiki
New Entries -
- The consistent method for deleting information is to put a box around it, rather than to draw a line through it. Typically the box will precede the correct version of what is in the box.
- A useful site for determining if something is a surname or an occupation is translate.google.com where you can enter what you see as Italian and see the result as English (e.g., ragioniere translates as accountant... obviously not a name)
- Unusual surnames that don't appear on the lookup list can often be found at this website, showing them to be local to the area being indexed.
- There are often only a very few families with such surnames.
- Surnames from Northern Italy are often influenced by neighboring Switzerland and France.