Iron Mountain Michigan Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Iron Mountain, Michigan Family History Center primarily serves the Dickinson and Iron Counties in Michigan and Florence and Forest Counties in Wisconsin.
Center Contacts and Hours[edit | edit source]
- 2001 Woodward Ave and Pyle Dr Kingsford MI 49801 United States
- Entrance to the Family History Center is to the right of the building from the parking lot.
- Once inside, go all the way down the hall to the right.
- Additional hours by appointment:
- Please call to make sure we are open.
Closed on holidays and for severe weather: If the schools are closed, so are we:
Calendar and Events[edit | edit source]
None at this time
Center Resources[edit | edit source]
Collections[edit | edit source]
- Michigan censuses from 1820-1880, and the 1890 Census of Michigan Veterans and Widows of the Civil War; vital, naturalization, probate records, etc. for most of the Upper Peninsula Counties and some northern Wisconsin Counties;
- Numerous Scandinavian microfilm
- Some German and British Isles microfilm and/or microfiche
- Some Native American resources, especially Ojibwe and Potowatamie
Databases and Software[edit | edit source]
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Personal Ancestral File (PAF), Roots Magic, and Family Tree Maker programs
Hardware and Equipment[edit | edit source]
- 3 computers with internet access and PAF and Roots Magic programs
- 1 computer with PAF and Family Tree Maker programs
- 1 Xerox printer (NOT a reader/printer)
- 3 microfilm readers
- 2 microfiche readers
Center Services[edit | edit source]
On Thursdays, staff with Scandinavian research expertise is usually available
Resources in the Local Area
[edit | edit source]
- Menominee Range Historical Society Museum http://www.menomineemuseum.com/
Dickinson County Genealogical Society
c/o Dickinson County Library
401 Iron Mountain Street
Iron Mountain, MI 48901-3435
- Delta County, MI Genealogical Society http://www.grandmastree.com/society/
- Iron County, MI Genealogical Society
- Florence County, WI Historical Society http://www.florencewisconsin.com/AboutFC/FCHShome.html<
Links[edit | edit source]
- FamilySearch Research Wiki: What It Can Do For You!: A comprehensive video presentation explaining the Wiki, navigating it, and some especially useful pages. Case studies demonstrate using the Wiki for genealogical research. Editing and adding articles to the Wiki are covered.
Upper Peninsula Genealogical & Historical Societies
Volunteer at the Center[edit | edit source]
Anyone in the area who either has genealogical research experience or would like to gain the experience.
Prefer those who are computer literate