|Ireland Wiki Topics|
|Historic Ireland (pre-1922)|
|Northern Ireland (post-1922)|
|Ireland Research Resources|
A periodical is a magazine, newsletter, or journal published on a regular basis. In Ireland, periodicals are called journals. Journals are published by family history, local history, one-name (organized to study a specific surname), and national societies. Journal articles often include:
- Transcripts of church records, migration lists, and cemetery records.
- Suggestions on research procedures.
- Information about local records, archives, and services.
- Book advertisements and book reviews.
- Research advertisements.
- Researcher queries or requests for information about specific ancestors.
- The Irish Ancestor. 1969-1981. Published by the Irish Ancestor, the Glebe House, Fethard, County Tipperary, Ireland. (Family History Library book 941.5 B2i.) This journal publishes copies of will abstracts, church records, gravestone inscriptions, family Bible entries, and any other previously unpublished genealogical source.
- Irish Family History. 1985-. Published by the Irish Family History Society, P.O. Box 36, Naas, County Kildare, Eire. (Family History Library book 941.5 H25if.) This journal contains articles on and extracts from Irish records.
- The Irish Genealogist. 1937-. Published by the Irish Genealogical Research Society, Challoner Club, 59/61 Pont Street, London SW1X OBG, England. (Family History Library book 941.5 B2ig.) This journal contains record extracts as well as documented articles on families, repositories, and records.
- Irish Roots. 1992-. Published by Belgrave Publications, Cork, Ireland. (Family History Library book 941.5 D25ir.) This journal contains articles on many topics, including surnames and new developments in Irish genealogy.
- Many periodicals on Irish research are published outside of Ireland, such as the following:
- Septs. June 1980-. Published by the Irish Genealogical Society International, 1185 Concord Street North, Suite 218, South St. Paul, MN 55075, USA (Family History Library book 941.5 D25s).
- The Irish Link. 1984. Published by the Irish Link, P.O. Box 135, South Melbourne, Victoria 3205, Australia. (Family History Library book 994 D25i).
The following two sources index Irish journals: de Breffny, Brian. Bibliography of Irish Family History and Genealogy. This source indexes many Irish pedigrees and genealogies that have been published in periodicals. Hayes, Richard J. Sources for the History of Irish Civilisation: Articles in Irish Periodicals. 9 vols. Boston, Massachusetts: G. K. Hall and Co., 1970. (Family History Library book Ref Q 941.5 A5ha; film 973,222-30.)
The Irish at Home and Abroad has ceased publication, but it had detailed articles about many different aspects of the lives of Irish people around the world. A complete online index can help you find articles that may help answer questions about your Irish ancestry. See Index to The Irish at Home and Abroad. on, Massachusetts: G. K. Hall and Co., 1970. (Family History Library book Ref Q 941.5 A5ha; film 973,222-30.)
The societies that publish them. The names and subscription addresses of many journals are provided in Ulrich's International Periodicals Directory(New York, New York: Bowker, 1932-; US/Canada Reference, Family History Library book Ref 016.05 U7p), which is found in the Family History Library's US/Canada collection and is available at many major libraries.
Archives with genealogical collections. These are likely to have journals for the area they serve.
The Family History Library. The library subscribes to most journals published by genealogical and family history societies. Journals are listed in the Author/Title Search of the catalog under the name of the sponsoring society or journal. Journals are also listed in the Place Search of the catalog under combinations of the following localities and subject headings:
IRELAND - [COUNTY] GENEALOGY - PERIODICALS
HISTORY - PERIODICALS
SOCIETIES - PERIODICALS