Ireland Census, 1841 (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Ireland Census, 1841
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|St. Patrick's Saltire (1783-1801)|
|Flag of the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Ireland (1801-1922); Flag of the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland (1922-present)|
|Flag of the Republic of Ireland (1922-present)|
|National Archives of Ireland|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Known Issues with This Collection
- 7 Citing This Collection
- 8 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This collection includes fragments from the Ireland 1841 Census. The entire census is not included in this collection. The majority of the census returns were destroyed in 1922 but there are a few returns that remain for Killeshandra, County Cavan. The census returns contains: name, age, occupation, relationship to the head of household, date of marriage, education/literacy, absent family members, family members who died since 1841 and other information. The census is arranged by town land, civil parish, barony and county and contains: name, age, and locality information. A barony, in Scotland, Ireland and outlying parts of England, constitutes an administrative division of a country, usually of lower rank and importance than a county. This collection was originally captured at the National Archives of Ireland and the index was created by findmypast.com.
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Ireland Census, 1841.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The following information may be found in these records:
- Given Name of all Family Members
- Ages of Family Members
- Relationship to the Head of the Household
- Marital Status and Date
- Educational or Literacy Status
- Occupation of Head of Household
- County and Township of Residence
- Country of Origin
- Religious Affiliation
- Family Members who died since the previous Census
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of the person you are looking for
- Approximate location of residence
Search the Index
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select County
- Select Parish
- Select Townland to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Ireland Census, 1841. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Titles may be clues to property ownership, occupations, rank, or status within the community
- Use the ages to calculate estimated birth years and look for birth records
- Use the name of the head of household and spouse to find a marriage record
- Try finding the family or individuals in other census records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- Your ancestor may have used different names or variations of their name throughout their life
- Be aware that, as with any index, transcription errors may occur
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Ireland.
Known Issues with This Collection
| Problems with this collection?|
See a list of known issues, workarounds, tips, restrictions, future fixes, news and other helpful information.
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- “Ireland Census, 1841.” Database with images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. From "Ireland Census 1821-1851." Database with images. findmypast. http://www.findmypast.com : 2014.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.