Ireland Calendar of Wills and Administrations (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Ireland, Calendar of Wills and Administrations, 1858-1920
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|St. Patrick's Saltire (1783-1801)|
|Flag of the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Ireland (1801-1922); Flag of the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland (1922-present)|
|Flag of the Republic of Ireland (1922-present)|
|Record Type||Calendar of Wills & Administrations|
|Principal Probate Registry, Dublin|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Known Issues with This Collection
- 7 Citing This Collection
- 8 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
The collection covers the years 1858 to 1920. Each record contains a summary of the will and probate information.
This project is part of an agreement with the National Archives of Ireland. FamilySearch is responsible for creating an index to these records.
The records were created by the Probate Registry, which took control of proving wills and administrations in 1858. Before this, four different types of ecclesiastical (church) courts dealt with these cases. A Principal Probate Registry was established in London in January 1858, and several district probate registries were created around the country. From then on, the registries oversaw all grants of probate and letters of administration. This collection is the Calendar of these grants.
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Ireland, Calendar of Wills and Administrations, 1858-1920.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The following information may be found in these records:
- Name of the deceased
- Date of death
- Value of the estate
- Birth information
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of deceased
- Approximate date of death
Search the Index
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select Record Type
- Select Year to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Ireland, Calendar of Wills and Administrations, 1858-1920. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Use the information in the probate record to substitute for civil birth and death records since the probates exist for an earlier time period
- Use the birth date along with the residence or place of birth of the deceased to locate census and church records
- Use the occupations listed to find other types of records such as employment records or military records
- Compile the entries for every person who has the same surname as the deceased; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual
- Continue to search the records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives who may have died in the same county or nearby. This can help you identify other generations of your family or even the second marriage of a parent. Repeat this process for each new generation you identify
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- The information in the records is usually reliable, but depends upon the reliability of the deceased or the testator
- Earlier records may not contain as much information as the records created after 1900
- There is also some variation in the information given from one record to another record
- Check for variant spellings of the surnames
- Search the records of nearby towns
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Ireland.
Known Issues with This Collection
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached Wiki article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to email@example.com. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Ireland Calendar of Wills and Administrations, 1858-1920." Database with Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. Principal Probate Registry, Dublin.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.