Ireland, W.P.W. Phillimore & Gertrude Thrift, Indexes to Irish Wills - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Ireland, W.P.W. Phillimore & Gertrude Thrift, Indexes to Irish Wills 1536-1858, 5 vols
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|St. Patrick's Saltire (1783-1801)|
|Flag of the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Ireland (1801-1922); Flag of the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland (1922-present)|
|Flag of the Republic of Ireland (1922-present)|
|Location of Ireland|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
These five volumes were compiled from finding aids in use at the Public Record Office of Ireland (PROI) in Dublin. The volumes record surviving wills, then in existence at the PROI, which had been proved at local diocesan courts. Not every diocese is included as the project was still in progress when the archive was destroyed in 1922. These volumes are often the only record that a will existed. Volumes 1 and 2 edited by W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts) Phillimore, volumes 3-5 edited by Gertrude Thrift.
The contents of each volume are as follows:
- v. 1, Ossory 1536-1800; Leighlin 1652- 1800; Ferns 1601-1800; Kildare 1661-1800
- v. 2, Cork & Ross, 1584-1800; Cloyne 1621-1800
- v. 3, Cashel & Emly 1618-1800; Waterford & Lismore 1645-1800; Killaloe & Kilfenora 1653-1800; Limerick 1615-1800; Ardfert & Aghadoe 1690-1800
- v. 4, Dromore 1678-1858; Exempt jurisdiction of Newry and Mourne 1727-1858
- v. 5, Derry 1612-1858; Raphoe 1684-1858
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Name of the person
- Approximate date of death
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name by visiting the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Use the information in the probate record to substitute for civil birth and death records since the probates exist for an earlier time period
- Record the entries for every person who has the same surname as the deceased; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual
- Search the records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives who may have died in the same county or nearby.
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- The information in the records is usually reliable, but depends upon the reliability of the deceased or the testator
- Check for variant spellings of the surnames
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Ireland.
Related Collections[edit | edit source]
- Indexes to Irish wills Photocopy from microfilm
- Indexes to Irish wills Genealogical Publishing Company reprint, 1970
Related FamilySearch Historical Records Collections[edit | edit source]
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
To access available information, first log into FamilySearch.