Iowa, Poweshiek County Probate, School, and Court Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Iowa, Poweshiek County Probate, School, and Court Records, 1850-1954 .
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Poweshiek, Iowa, United States|
|Flag of Iowa|
|Location of Poweshiek County, Iowa|
|Location of Iowa|
|Poweshiek County Clerk's Office, Montezuma|
- 1 What Is In This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search the Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What Is In This Collection?
This collection includes probate proceedings from Poweshiek County for the years 1850-1954. They include estate files, wills, administrations, minutes, guardianships and other records related to probate.
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Iowa, Poweshiek County Probate, School, and Court Records, 1850-1954.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
Probate records include petitions, inventories, accounts, decrees and other court documents. Genealogical facts in entries are:
- Name of testator or deceased
- Names of heirs such as spouse, children, and other relatives or friends
- Name of executor, administrator, or guardian
- Names of witnesses
- Residence of testator
- Document and recording dates
How Do I Search the Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of the person
- The name of other relatives
- The date of the event
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select the Volume Title and Year which will take you to the images.
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images.
- Whenever possible, look at the original record. If often has more information than the indexed record.
- Print or download a copy of the record, or extract the genealogical information needed.
- In case you need to find this record again later, copy the citation found on each record or image. Familysearch wiki has a Example Research Log that you can download and use for this purpose.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Iowa, Poweshiek County probate records, 1881-1957. Some catalog records link to multiple digital image records. In this case, click on a digital image record to find a camera icon to see images.|
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Use a Probate record to identify adoptions, guardians, heirs and relatives.
- Use a probate record to approximate a death date, then find a death certificate.
- For earlier years, use the probate record to substitute for civil birth and death records.
- Use the information found in the record to find church and vital records such as birth, baptism and marriage records.
- Use the information found in the record to find immigration and land records.
- Use the information found in the record to find additional family members in censuses.
- Repeat this process with additional family members found, to find more generations of the family.
- Church Records were kept years before counties began keeping records. They are a good source for finding ancestors before 1900.
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you find possible relatives.
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby town or county.
- Try different spellings of your ancestor’s name.
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names. Try searching for these names as well.
- Check the info box above for additional FamilySearch websites and related websites that may assist you in finding similar records.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Iowa, Poweshiek County Probate, School, and Court Records, 1850-1954." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. State Historical Society of Iowa, Des Moine, and Poweshiek County Clerk's Office, Montezuma.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.