Iowa, Delayed Birth Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Iowa, Delayed Birth Records, 1850-1939
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Iowa, United States|
|Flag of Iowa|
|Location of Iowa|
|Record Type||Delayed Birth Records|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection consists of images of delayed birth records obtained from the State Historical Society of Iowa for the years 1939 to1940.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Name at birth
- Birth date and place
- Current address
- Names of parents
- Parents' ages
- Parents' nationality
- Parents' race
- Parents' current address
- Parents' ages at their last birthday
- Parents' birth place
- Form of proof
- Names of witnesses
- Document date
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
Coverage Map[edit | edit source]
To see a coverage map of FamilySearch's holdings of Iowa birth records, click here.
Digital Folder Number List[edit | edit source]This collection was published as a DGS browse collection. The list does not contain any description of the DGS folder's content. A table listing each DGS number and its contents can be found at Iowa, Delayed Birth Records Digital Folder Number List.
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before using this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of the individual
- The approximate date of birth
- The place where the birth occurred
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name by visiting the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]To view images in this collection:
- Look at the Digital Folder Number List article to determine the folder/film number for the images you want to see
- Go to the Browse Page
- Select the Film number to view the images
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Iowa, Delayed Birth Records, 1850-1939. Click on camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Use the age or estimated birth date to find vital records such as baptism, marriage, and death
- Use the information found in the record to find land, probate and immigration records
- Use the information found in the record to find additional family members in census records
- Search for church records
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you find possible relatives
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby town or county
- Try different spellings of your ancestor’s name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Iowa.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.