Help:Adding Images to Articles
| This help article will guide you as you edit in the Wiki. See Contributor Help for more help articles.|
Watch a video demonstration of how to add images to the wiki.
To insert an image into an article, the image must first be submitted, approved, and uploaded to the FamilySearch Wiki.
An uploaded image file may be searched for like any article on the Family Search Research Wiki. Type the keyword(s) into the search box and hit the Enter button. A list of article shows, but look to the left and hit the Multimedia link. Now a list of image files shows. Scroll down to the image file you want.
You can also find uploaded image files by category, if they have been categorized first. Navigate to the category you want, then scroll down. Image files are shown last after the other files.
If you wish to use Wikitext, skip down to the section called Inserting Images using Wikitext, otherwise continue with the next section.
Note: An inserted image is loosely tied to the surrounding text. This makes it difficult to place the image in just the right location. It is often much easier to format the surrounding text to accommodate the image.
Inserting images using the FCK editing tool
1. Locate the article that you want to insert the image file into.
2. Click Edit This Page at the top right of the page.
4. Locate the yellow icon on the toolbar at the top of the edit window. Click on the icons (shown below.)
5. The Image Properties window will appear:
6. Type the name of the image in the "Image file name" box. As you type the name, the search box below will list possible matches. ;When the correct title appears in the search box, click on the title in the "automatic search results" box. This will insert the correct title into the "Image file name" box.
|Note: If the image title does not appear in the "Automatic search results" box, the image may not have been uploaded to the Wiki yet. Learn how to upload an image or file prior to inserting the image into a specific article or page in ;the Wiki.|
7. In lower left-hand corner of the "Image Properties" window, click on the dropdown menu titled "Special Type" and click on Thumbnail to show a small version of the image on the page. (Users may click on the image to view a full version of the image.)
8. Next to Special Type, click on the drop-down menu titled "Align" to choose where on the page the image will appear: Left side, right side, or center.
9. In the "Image Properties" window, click OK to insert the image.
10. This will return you to the edit screen. The image should appear on the screen.
11. When you are finished, save the page
Inserting images using Wikitext
1) Make sure you are in Wikitext mode. See the FCK Editor for help in doing this.
2) Open the image file to be inserted. Right under the image, the Name of the Image is listed. Copy this name, because the exact name of the image must be used.
3) Open the article where you intend to insert the image.
4) Click the Edit Source tab. The Edit Window will open. Then Click in the edit window where you want the image inserted.
5) Type in the following - Two opening square brackets, then the word File followed by a colon and the Name of the Image, finally two closing square brackets. For example: [[File:Example.jpg]]
6) There are many ways to format an image on the page to make it look better, such as size, border, caption, which side of the page, etc.
7) When all your changes have been made, save the page
Saving the page with an inserted image
|NOTE: You should see two scroll bars while in the editing mode. One is part of the editing window, and the other is on the far right-hand side of the computer screen. Use the Outside scroll bar to scroll down.|
1) Scroll down to the bottom of the Edit Window.
2) Fill in the Summary with something like Inserted Image. Then click the Save page button.
3) The Wiki article will now display along with the image.4) If you click on the image, the image file itself will open.