Indiana Marriage Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Indiana, Marriages, 1811-2007
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Indiana, United States|
|Flag of Indiana|
|Location of Indiana|
|Record Type||Marriage Index|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Known Issues with This Collection
- 7 Citing This Collection
- 8 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This collection was indexed in partnership with the Indiana Genealogical Society. It consists of a name index and images of marriages recorded in the Indiana Territory and in the state of Indiana between 1811 and 2007. This is an ongoing project, so additional records will be added as indexing is completed. New images are being added as they become available. Early county marriage records were handwritten into bound books with multiple entries to a page. Pre-printed register books began to be used about 1850. By 1905, the printed format included only one entry on each page.
Clerks of the Circuit Court recorded marriages performed by religious or civil authorities. Records consisted of licenses, marriage returns and marriage entries. The state of Indiana began collecting marriages from the counties in 1958.
Whenever possible, FamilySearch makes images available for all users. However, rights to view images on our website are granted by the record custodians.
For additional information about image restrictions, please see the Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections page.
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Indiana, Marriages, 1811-2007.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
Marriage records before 1882 usually contain the following information:
Marriage records from 1882 to 1905 may give the additional information:
Marriage records after 1905 may contain the additional information:
The following table shows the number of records in this collection by county. Because of privacy laws not all records may be available.
To see a coverage map of FamilySearch's holdings of Indiana county marriages, click here.
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of the individual
- The date of the event or the name of a parent or spouse
Search the Index
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select the County of Event - License or Marriage
- Select the Volume and Year Range to view the images
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Indiana Marriages, 1811-2007. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Use the age or estimated birth date to find other vital records such as birth, baptism, and death
- Use the information found in the record to find additional family members in census records
- Witnesses to marriages were usually family members
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you find possible relatives
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby town or county
- Try different spellings of your ancestor’s name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
- Consult the Indiana Record Finder Table to find other records
Known Issues with This Collection
| Problems with this collection?|
See a list of known issues, workarounds, tips, restrictions, future fixes, news and other helpful information.
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
"Indiana, Marriages, 1811-2007." Database and Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 5 January 2017. County clerk offices, Indiana.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.