India, Madras Diocese Protestant Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
India, Madras Diocese Protestant Church Records, 1743-1990
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Madras (Chennai), India|
|Flag of the Republic of India|
|Location of Madras (Chennai), India|
|Church of South India—Diocese of Madras, Chennai, India|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This collection consists of Protestant church records for baptisms, marriages, and deaths for the Madras Diocese, Church of South India. It will include records from 1743-1990.
A diocese is a region directed by a bishop of a Christian organization. A diocese is then divided into parishes which are overseen by a parish priest. The Church of South India was created as a successor to the Church of England after India declared independence. It is a union of Anglican, Protestant, Presbyterian and Methodist organizations.
Reading These Records
These records are written in Hindi. For help with reading the records see the following guides:
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for India, Madras Diocese Protestant Church Records, 1743-1990.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The following information may be found in these records:
How Do I Search This Collection?
As you are searching, it is helpful to know such information as:
- Your ancestor's given name and surname
- The area where they lived
- The general time frame of the event you are searching for
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page
- Select Record Type and Year Range to view the images
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at India, Madras Diocese Protestant Church Records, 1743-1990. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Use the information to find more. For instance, use the age listed in the record to estimate a year of birth, if that is yet undetermined
- Use the birth date or age along with the place of birth of each spouse to find a couple's birth records and parents' names
- Compile the marriage entries for every person who has the same surname as the bride or groom; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- When looking for an individual with a common name, look at all the search results before deciding which is the correct person. Use other information, such as place of birth, age, occupation, or names of parents, to help with this decision
- Try variations of given names and surnames. A person might have been listed under a middle name, nickname, or abbreviation of their given name
- Vary the search terms. For example, expand the date range or search by either the given name or surname to return a broader list search results
- If you can’t find your ancestor, search the records of nearby localities, such as India, Madras and Tamil Nadu Parish Records (FamilySearch Historical Records) and India, Hindu Pilgrimage Records (FamilySearch Historical Records).
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "India, Madras Diocese Protestant Church Records, 1743-1990." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. Church of South India—Diocese of Madras, Chennai.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.