India, Gujarat Diocese Protestant Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
India, Gujarat Diocese Protestant Church Records, 1854-2012
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the Republic of India|
|Location of Gujarat, India|
|Title in the Language:||*भारत, गुजरात सूबा चर्च रिकॉर्ड्स, *ભારત ગુજરાત ડાયોસિઝ ચર્ચ રેકોર્ડઝ|
|Guajarat Diocesan Council, Ahmedabad, Guajarat|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This collection will include records from 1854-2012.
The form information on these records is printed in English, but the individuals' information is in the Hindi or Gujarati languages.
The records include church records from the Church of North India. They contain baptisms, marriages, and deaths for the Dioceses of Gujarat, India. The church records are an excellent source for accurate information about names and dates and on places of births, marriages, and deaths. Many people who lived in India have information recorded about them in a church record. Because civil authorities in India did not begin registering vital statistics until the year 1872, the best sources for family information before that date are the church records.
Protestant church records contain information about baptisms, marriages, deaths, and Vastipatrak for the Protestant Diocese of Gujarat, India. Vastipatrak are compilations of family information which pull together the members of families, indicate relationships, and record some vital record information. The original records are located at the Gujarat Diocesan Council, I.P. Mission Compound, Ellis Bridge, Ahmedabad, India.
Reading These Records
These records are written in Hindi/Gujarati. For help with reading the records see the following:
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for India, Gujarat Diocese Protestant Church Records, 1854-2012.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The following information may be found in these records:
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Name of parents
- Approximate year of birth or event
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page
- Select District
- Select City/Town
- Select Record Type and Year Range to view the images
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at India, Gujarat Diocese Protestant Church Records, 1854-2012. Click on camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Use the information to find more. For instance, use the age listed in the record to estimate a year of birth, if that is yet undetermined
- Use the birth date or age along with the place of birth of each spouse to find a couple's birth records and parents' names
- Compile the marriage entries for every person who has the same surname as the bride or groom; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- When looking for an individual with a common name, look at all the search results before deciding which is the correct person. Use other information, such as place of birth, age, occupation, or names of parents, to help with this decision
- Try variations of given names and surnames. A person might have been listed under a middle name, nickname, or abbreviation of their given name
- Vary the search terms. For example, expand the date range or search by either the given name or surname to return a broader list search results
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in India.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "India, Gujarat Diocese Protestant Church Records, 1854-2012." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. Guajarat Diocesan Council, Ahmedabad, Guajarat.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.