India, Bihar, Koilukh, Pandit Kirtinand Jha, Maithil Brahmin Genealogical Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
India, Bihar, Koilukh, Pandit Kirtinand Jha, Maithil Brahmin Genealogical Records, 1750-1990
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the Republic of India|
|Location of Bihar, India|
|Pandit Kirtinand Jha in Koilukh, Bihar, India|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
These records span from 1750-1990. Maithil Brahmins is a Hindu Brahmin community from the Mithila region in India, residing mainly in Bihar and the neighboring states of Uttar Pradesh, Jharkhand and West Bengal. They are noted for panjis, the extensive genealogical records maintained for the last twenty-four generations. Panjis were traditionally written on palm leaves measuring 16 x 3 and threaded by a central perforation. Some were also written on old indigenously made paper called ‘basaha. In the modern age they are increasingly written on paper. Panjikars (genealogists) are expected to diligently copy and memorize the old records.
Reading These Records
These records are written in Hindi. For help with reading the records see the following guides:
To Browse this Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for India, Bihar, Koilukh, Pandit Kirtinand Jha, Maithil Brahmin Genealogical Records, 1750-1990.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The following information may be found in these records:
- Person’s Name
- Date and Place of Birth
- Person’s Gender
- Person’s Age
- Parents’ Names and Other Family Relationships
- Date and Place of Marriage
- Date and Place of Death
- Age at time of Death
- Cause of Death
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Name of the person
- Approximate date of the the event
- Family relationships
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page
- Select Volume and Description to view the images
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Maithil Brahmin Genealogical Records : Pandit Kirtinand Jha. Click on camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Use the information to find more. For instance, use the age listed in the record to estimate a year of birth, if that is yet undetermined
- Use the birth date or age along with the place of birth of each spouse to find a couple's birth records and parents' names
- Compile the marriage entries for every person who has the same surname as the bride or groom; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- When looking for an individual with a common name, look at all the search results before deciding which is the correct person. Use other information, such as place of birth, age, occupation, or names of parents, to help with this decision
- Try variations of given names and surnames. A person might have been listed under a middle name, nickname, or abbreviation of their given name
- Vary the search terms. For example, expand the date range or search by either the given name or surname to return a broader list search results
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "India, Bihar, Koilukh, Pandit Kirtinand Jha, Maithil Brahmin Genealogical Records, 1750-1990." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. Citing Pandit Kirtinand Jha, Koilukh, Bihar.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.