|India Research Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Guide to India ancestry, family history and genealogy parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
India is a country is South Asia bordered by Pakistan, China, Nepal, Bhutan, Myanmar, and Bangladesh. India was gradually annexed by and brought under the administration of the British East India Company from the early 18th century and administered directly by the United Kingdom after Indian Rebellion of 1857. India became an independent nation in 1947 after a struggle for independence that was marked by non-violent resistance led by Mahatma Gandhi. The official languages are Hindi and English.
Getting Started with India Research
Links to articles on getting started with India research.
India Research Tools
Links to articles and websites that assist in India research.
More India Research Tools
Research tools can include resources that assist in locating correct records to search and determining the correct locality to search in. Below are links and Wiki articles to research tools in India.
- Families in British India Society
- India Office - catalogues of private papers, prints etc.
- British Presence in India
- British National Archives - information about immigrants in the 19th century
- A history behind Street Names of Hderabad & Secunderabad - Article about India Place names.
- Britain at War
- India Genealogy, over 50 links
- Genealogy record keeping in India by Dick Eastman
- Family history research for ancestors from India by Smita Biswas
- Jews of India
Below are FamilySearch resources that can assist you in researching your family.
- Facebook Communities - Facebook groups discussing genealogy research
- Learning Center - Online genealogy courses
- FamilySearch Historical Records Collections for India
- Family History Center locator map
- Historic Hindu Cremation Records
- Armenian Family History in India 1600-1950 - includes links to a record sources with grave stone inscriptions and translations
- BBC - Tracing your Asian roots on the Indian subcontinent
- Families in British India Society FIBIS ($)
- Genes Reunited - index ($)
- India Office Family History Search - indexes to 300,000 births, baptisms, marriages, deaths and burials of Europeans in India
- India Office Select Materials
- The Indiaman Magazine
- Tracing East Asian Roots (courtesy: Moving Here: Tracing Your Roots)
- East India Company and other Europeans
- Wikipedia contributors, "India," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India, accessed 28 March 2016.