Illinois, Military Discharge Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Illinois, Military Discharge Records, ca.1862 - ca.1965
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Illinois|
|Location of Illinois|
|Record Type||Military Discharge Records|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection consitsts of military discharge records for various counties in the state of Illinois ranging approximately from 1862 to 1965. More records may be added as they become available. Counties represented in the records are:
- Adams, 1917-1924
- Brown, 1901-1953
- Calhoun, 1861-1866
- Cass, 1865-1912
- Douglas, 1865-1890, 1919-1950
- Edwards, 1866-1963
- Fulton, 1865-1914
- Greene, 1865-1891
- Hancock, 1865-1965
- Jackson, 1898-193; Indexes, 1866-2000
- Jo Daviess, 1920-1931
- Livingston, 1865-1945
- Macon, 1864-1865
- Madison, 1865-1918
- Moultrie, 1862-1898, 1918-1919
- Piatt, 1865-1920
- Pope, 1862-1865
- Tazewell, 1864-1891
- Tazewell, 1864-1949
- Union, 1863-1866
- Vermilion, 1865-1943
- Woodford, 1863-1902
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Serial Number
- Military Unit
- Date of Enlistment
- Place of Enlistment
- Martial States
- Date and Place of Discharge
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Name of the person
- Approximate date of the event
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- If available, check the image for additional information
- Analyze the entry to see if it provides additional clues to find other records of the person or their family
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- The person may be recorded with an abbreviated or variant form of their name
- Try searching by surname only
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Illinois.
- Illinois Guided Research
- Illinois Record Finder
- Research Tips and Strategies
- Step-by-Step Research
- Illinois, United States Genealogy
- Illinois Military Records
Related FamilySearch Historical Records Collections[edit | edit source]
- United States, World War I Draft Registration Crads, 1917-1918.
- United States. Veterans Administration Master Index, 1917-1940
- United States, Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.