Illinois, Macon County, Decatur Public Library Collections (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Illinois, Macon County, Decatur Public Library Collections, 1879-2007
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Decatur, Macon, Illinois, United States|
|Flag of Illinois|
|Location of Decatur, Macon, Illinois|
|Location of Illinois|
|Record Type||Public Library Collection|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
The collection consists of images of card indexes from the Decatur Public Library. The records include:
- Obituary indexes (1879-2007) - Arranged by year
- Military indexes (1917-1919)
The collection covers Christian, Coles, Douglas, Effingham, Fayette, DeWitt, Logan, Marion, Moultrie, and Montgomery counties.
Newspapers included obituaries from their beginning issues.
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Illinois, Macon County, Decatur Public Library Collections, 1879-2007.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The obituaries generally contain the following information:
The World War I Soldiers Cards contain:
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The approximate date of death
- The last known residence of your ancestor
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select the Record
- Select the Record Type, Volume, and Year Range to view the images
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details. You should also look for leads to other records about your ancestors.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Search for a death certificate
- Use the information from the obituary index to obtain the actual obituary
- Search for the family in census records
- Search for service and pension records if the individual served in the military
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?
- Look for variant spellings of the names. You should also look for alias names, nicknames and abbreviated names
- Search the indexes and records of nearby localities
- Consult the Illinois Record Finder Table to find other records
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
"Illinois, Macon County, Decatur Public Library Collections, 1879-2007" Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. Decatur Public Library, Macon.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.