|Idaho Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
- Idaho Tombstone Transcription Project at USGenWeb
- Idaho Cemetery Records at Findagrave.com
- Idaho Cemetery Records at Interment.net
- BillionGraves Idaho Cemeteries
- BillionGraves Index
- Utah and Idaho cemetery records ($)
- IdahoGravestones.org, index.
- Idaho Cemetery Records at LDS Genealogy
Cemetery records often consist of two very important types of records -- (1) the headstones in the cemetery, and (2) the records kept by the caretaker of the cemetery, usually called sexton's records. The larger cemeteries usually have a sexton's office where records are located.
Sexton's records include names of the owners of burial lots and information about those buried there. In smaller cemeteries, sexton's records may not exist or they may be stored off-site, such as in the home of the cemetery's caretaker or sexton. In those cases, the headstone may be the only record of the person buried in the grave.
Tombstone inscriptions provide information often not available from other sources. However, there are several possible problems. The tombstone may be weathered and difficult to read. Vandalism may have destroyed information on the stones. Sometimes, the information recorded by the stonecutter on the tombstone may have been incorrect.
All of the larger cities in Idaho have one or more cemeteries within the boundaries of the city. Many rural towns and communities also have cemeteries identified by the name of the locality. Historically, those who died were often buried near where the death occurred -- on farms, near a mine, in a remote forest location, etc. Many of these burial locations have been identified and the information about those buried there has been abstracted. Some are listed on the Idaho Historical Society web site, under Collections, by county. Some of them are also listed on the USGenWeb site for each county in the state.
- An indexed collection of tombstone inscriptions is Cemetery Records of Idaho, 12 Volumes. (Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society, 1952-68) FHL films 824262 items 3-266; book 979.6 V3c.
- The Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) Collection also contains some inscriptions from Idaho cemeteries.
- Transcriptions of cemetery records compiled by local genealogical groups or individuals are available at the Family History Library for most counties in Idaho. The Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog lists more of these records under:
- IDAHO - CEMETERIES
- IDAHO, [COUNTY] - CEMETERIES
- IDAHO, [COUNTY], [TOWN] - CEMETERIES
Cemetery records often include birth, marriage, and death information and clues to military service, religion, membership in an organization, and more.
OnlineThe following have significant cemetery listings for Arkansas State:
| Sites may be incomplete.
• They may not list all cemeteries in a county
• and may not include all burials in a cemetery.
- Findagrave.com Search for names Enter at least a last name then click Search. Can narrow by first names or dates.
- This site frequently has tombstone images
- List of cemeteries statewide for cemeteries in their database
Go to Find A Grave Home page, click Search for a cemetery, select the state (Idaho), then select from the county list, and press Search.
- Click on the number below Interments for a cemetery to access names. Click Records arrow to scroll through to the end.
- Web: Idaho, Find A Grave Index, 1779-2012 at Ancestry.com ($)
- The Idaho GenWeb Cemetery Project offers a list of cemeteries by county. Most of the counties are listed and some cemeteries list information about each burial.
- Epodunk has a cemetery list for Idaho.
- A few cemetery lists by county can be found at Access Genealogy
- Locations of many cemeteries in each county in Idaho, as listed on the Idaho Genealogical Society web site. Information about the individual cemeteries is given.
- Records and photos of grave markers and their GPS locations are available online at BillionGraves
- Abstracts of those buried in a few cemeteries in Idaho are at Interment.net.
- Photographs of some tombstones in cemeteries in Idaho are online at the Idaho Gravestones website.
- Search for Eastern Idaho Death Records. Cemetery Records at BYU-Idaho.
- For Veterans' graves see the National Grave Locator
- Online Idaho Death Records & Indexes deathindexes.com