Iceland Baptisms (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Iceland Baptisms, 1730-1905
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the Republic of Iceland|
|Map Showing the Counties of Iceland, 1844-1959|
|The National Archives of Iceland|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This is an index to baptisms in Iceland for the years 1730 to 1905. This index is not complete for any particular place, region or time period. This collection may include information previously published in the International Genealogical Index.
What Can These Records Tell Me?
- The name of the childe
- Date and place of christening
- The names of the parents
The table below shows the number of records for each county available in this collection. Most of the records in the collection are from the time period given in the title; however, the collection may have a few records from before or after those dates.
How Do I Search This Collection?
Search the Index
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Look at an image of the original record, if possible. The original may contain information that was not recorded in the index
- Use the information to find other records such as marriage, death, or census records
- Collect entries for every person who has the same surname, unless the surname is a common surname. This list can help you identify possible relatives that can be verified by records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- Consult the Iceland Record Finder to find other records
- Try viewing any original indexes to see if there were errors in the transcription of the name, age, residence, etc.
- Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames, middles name, or an abbreviation of their given name
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Iceland.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Iceland, Baptisms, 1730-1905." Database. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org: 14 June 2016. Index based upon data collected by the Genealogical Society of Utah, Salt Lake City.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.