Hyde County, North Carolina Genealogy
Guide to Hyde County, North Carolina ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Hyde County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
|County Seat||Swan Quarter|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Resources
- 3.1 Bibles
- 3.2 Cemeteries
- 3.3 Census and Tax Records
- 3.4 Church Records
- 3.5 Court
- 3.6 History
- 3.7 Land
- 3.8 Local Histories
- 3.9 Maps
- 3.10 Military
- 3.11 Miscellaneous
- 3.12 Newspapers
- 3.13 Obituaries
- 3.14 Photographs & Biographies
- 3.15 Probate
- 3.16 Queries
- 3.17 Surnames
- 3.18 Swan Quarterly
- 3.19 Vital Records
- 4 Societies and Libraries
- 5 Websites
- 6 References
Hyde County Courthouse
264 Business Hwy P O Box 297
Swan Quarter NC 27885
Phone: 252 926 3011
Formerly Wickham Co names changed to Hyde 1712
Register of Deeds has birth, death and burial records from 1913
marriage records from 1850, land records from 1736
marriage bonds 1735-1867 and delayed birth records from late 1800's
Clerk Superior Court has divorce and court records from 1868
and probate records from 1774 
Register of Deeds
P.O. Box 294
Swan Quarter, No 27885
Phone: 252-926-4182 or 252-926-4183
Clerk Superior Court
P.O. Box 337
Swan Quarter, NC 27885
Work Phone: (252) 926-4700
For animated maps illustrating North Carolina county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation North Carolina County Boundary Maps" (1664-1965) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
- 1789, 1827 Fire burned courthouse
- Guide to Research in the North Carolina Archives (list of original & microfilm records)
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|North Carolina Cemeteries|
|See North Carolina Cemeteries for more information.|
Census and Tax Records
For tips on accessing Hyde County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
- Mattemuskeet River. Constituted 1783.
Church of England
- St. George's Parish. Established by 1741.
- 1779 - 1782 - North Carolina Revolutionary Pay Vouchers 1779-1782 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 - North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 - North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861 - 1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1885 - 1953 - North Carolina, Confederate Soldiers and Widows Pension Applications, 1885-1953 at FamilySearch — images
Regiments. Service men in Hyde County, North Carolina Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Hyde County, North Carolina Genealogy:
World War I
- 1917 - 1919 - North Carolina, World War I Service Cards, 1917-1919 at FamilySearch — index and images
World War II
- 1940 - 1948 - North Carolina, Discharge and Statement of Service Records, 1940-1948 at FamilySearch — index and images
Photographs & Biographies
Online Probate Records
- 1660 - 1790 - North Carolina Will Abstracts 1660-1790 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1663 - 1979 - North Carolina Estate Files, 1663-1979 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1665 - 1998 - North Carolina Wills and Probate Records 1665-1998 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1735 - 1970 - North Carolina Probate Records 1735-1970 at FamilySearch.org — images
- 1760 - 1800 - North Carolina Will Abstracts 1760-1800 at Ancestry.com — index and images
- Pre - 1790 - Pre-1790 Hyde County, North Carolina Genealogy Wills stored at the North Carolina State Archives are online - free. Website tips.
- 1830 - 1963 - Will Books A to G (1830-1963) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free
- 1764 - 1818 - Images of Wills and Estates, Vols. 1,2,3. North Carolina Pioneers ($).
- 1899 - 1930 - Hyde County Lunacy Records (1899 -1930) USGenWeb
- 1800 - 2000 - North Carolina Birth Index 1800-2000 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1866 - 1964 - North Carolina Births and Christenings 1866-1964 at FamilySearch.org — index
- Hyde Co. Delayed Birth Certificates USGenWeb
- Hyde Co. Death Certificate Index USGenWeb
- 1898 - 1994 - North Carolina Deaths and Burials, 1898-1994 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1906 - 1930 - North Carolina Deaths 1906-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1908 - 2004 - North Carolina Death Indexes 1908-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1909 - 1975 - North Carolina Death Certificates 1909-1975 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1931 - 1994 - North Carolina Deaths 1931-1994 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1829 - 1898 - Hyde County Divorces 1829-1898 USGenWeb
- 1958 -2004 - North Carolina Divorce Index 1958-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1741 - 2004 - North Carolina, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1735 - 1867 - Hyde Co. Marriage Bonds 1735-1867 USGenWeb
- Hyde Co. Marriages (Grooms) USGenWeb
- 1855 - 1959 - Hyde County Marriage Index 1855-1959 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- 1866 - Hyde County Cohabitation Records - 1866 USGenWeb
- 1741 - 2004 - North Carolina Marriage Index 1741-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1759 - 1979 - North Carolina Marriages 1759-1979 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1762 - 1979 - North Carolina, County Marriages, 1762-1979 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1763 - 1868 - North Carolina, Civil Marriages, 1763-1868 at FamilySearch — index and images
Societies and Libraries
Hyde County Historical & Genealogical Society
7820 Piney Woods Road
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Hyde County, NC History, Records, Facts and Genealogy (Genealogy Inc)
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Hyde County at Our Family Tree
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Hyde County, North Carolina. Page 510 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- George Washington Paschal, History of North Carolina Baptists, 2 vols. (1930; reprint, Gallatin, Tenn.: Church History Research and Archives, 1990), 2:565. FHL Book 975.6 K2p 1990.
- Robert J. Cain, ed., The Church of England in North Carolina: Documents, 1699-1741 (Raleigh, N.C.: Division of Archives and History, North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources, 1999), 414. FHL Book 975.6 K2cr.
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/9/91/Iginorthcarolinag.pdf.