Hunstanton, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Hunstanton, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Docking|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1691|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
HUNSTANTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Docking, hundred of Smithdon, W. division of Norfolk, 16½ miles (N. N. E.) from Lynn.  Also referred to as Hunston.
Old Hunstanton St Mary the Virgin is an Ancient Parish in the diocese of Norwich.
Other places in the parish include: Ringstead Parva and Barrett Ringstead
Old Hunstanton is a village and civil parish in the English county of Norfolk. For the purposes of local government, it falls within the district of North Norfolk.
This small settlement adjoins to the north of the larger resort of Hunstanton. The quiet character of Old Hunstanton remains distinct from and complements that of its busy sibling, with clifftop walks past a disused lighthouse and the ruins of St. Edmund's Chapel, built in 1272. The River Hun runs to the coast just to the east of old Hunstanton.
In 1870 Hunstanton St Edmund, Norfolk was created from within the Ancient parish to serve the needs of the developing seaside resort to the south of the village.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Hunstanton, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Hunstanton, Norfolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
|TGEN||1538-1653||1538-1653||1538-1652, 1813-1895||1538-1652, 1813-1895||1538-1653||1538-1653|
Norfolk Record Office Parish Records of Old Hunstanton (St Mary's) reference PD698
|General registers, 1538-1812 (baptisms, burials, 1538-1812; marriages, 1538-1753). Baptisms, 1813-1901.|| FHL BRITISH Film |
1951635 Items 17 - 22
|Marriages and marriage banns, 1754-1812. Marriages, 1813-1901. Burials, 1813-1906. Marriage banns, 1824-1900. Register bills for baptisms, marriages, burials, 1642-1661. Marriage transcripts, 1656-1754.|| FHL BRITISH Film |
1951636 Items 1 - 9
Archdeacons transcripts, 1725-1812
Baptisms and marriages 1725-1811 Burials 1725-1812 FHL BRITISH Film 1526810 Item 4
Images of the parish register are available online at FamilySearch Historical Records. An error in loading images has the Baptism Marriages and burials register for the parish loaded in the images for Thelveton, Norfolk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Norfolk: Hunstanton on GenUKI
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 583-588. Date accessed: 15 April 2013.
- Pat Newby, "Norfolk: Towns and Parishes" GenUKI
- 'Norfolk Parish Registers Browse', findmypast, accessed 31 July 2015.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 25 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- 'Subscription Coverage Catalogue', TheGenealogist, accessed 11 January 2016.
- 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.