Hungary, Reformed Church Christenings - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Hungary Reformed Church Christenings, 1624-1895
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Hungary|
|Title in the Language:||Magyar Református Egyház keresztelési anyakönyvei|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 4 What Do I Do Next?
- 5 Citing This Collection
- 6 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection contains indexed records of baptisms in Hungary from 1624-1895. The publication of this collection is in progress. Additional records in the index will be published as they become available.
Calvinist Protestantism became the dominant religion of Hungarians in the late 1500s. The keeping of Reformed church registers began in the early 1700s after the Turks were replaced by the Christian Austrian government.
Registers were created to record the church sacraments of baptism, marriage, and other ordinances pertaining to each Church’s jurisdiction.
Reading These Records[edit | edit source]
These records are in Hungarian. For help reading the records, see the following resources:
- Hungary Genealogical Word List
- Hungary Civil Registration, Birth and Marriage Extracts (Family Search Historical Records)
- Hungary Language and Languages
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
Baptismal Records include:
- Name of child
- Date of birth
- Date of baptism
- Father and mother’s names and sometimes their address
- Complete witness’s names and sometimes their address
- Registration place
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching, it is best to know the following information:
- Name of the person
- Year of the baptism
As you search, look for a record which matches this information.
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name by visiting the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Hungary, Reformed Church Christenings, 1624-1895. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Use the birth date or age, along with the place of birth, to find the family in census records
- Use the residence and names of the parents to locate church and land records
- Occupations listed can lead you to other types of records, such as employment or military records
- The name of the officiator is a clue to their religion or area of residence in the county. However, ministers may have reported marriages performed in other counties
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Check for variant spellings of the surnames
- Check for a different index. There are often indexes at the beginning of each volume
- Search the indexes and records of nearby localities
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Hungary.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.