How to Find Oklahoma Birth Records
Statewide registration of births began in 1908 in Oklahoma with general compliance by 1930.
Next Step: When did the birth occur?
Births before 1891
Before 1891, no births were recorded by the county or state. You must search substitute records to locate your ancestor’s birth date and place.
|Records that give birth information:|
Births from 1891 thru 1907
Currently, there are no Oklahoma birth records available online. Some Oklahoma counties kept birth records as early as 1891. They are held at county courthouses. Delayed birth records also exist. You may also try searching for birth information in Other records.
Obtain the Record
To order birth records kept by individual counties during this time period, contact the appropriate county courthouse. Addresses may be found here.
You may order delayed birth records for a fee from the Oklahoma State Department of Health.
There are no restrictions on these records.
Births after 1907
Statewide registration of births began in 1908 in Oklahoma. Currently, there are no online indexes to Oklahoma births from 1908 to the present.
Obtain the Certificate
Restrictions for ordering Oklahoma birth certificates:
To obtain a copy of the birth certificate, you must be:
- A genealogist
- The person on the certificate
- The parent, step-parent, or grandparent of the person on the certificate
- The spouse of the person on the certificate
- The adult child or grandchild of the person on the certificate
- The legal guardian of the person on the certificate
- Anyone who has legal interest in the certificate
- NOTE: A copy of the birth certificate cannot be obtained by anyone except those listed above.
If you do not want to order the birth record, there are other records with birth information you can search.