How to Find Alabama Birth Records
Statewide registration of births began in 1908 in Alabama with general compliance by 1927.
Next Step: When did the birth occur?
Births before 1881
Before 1881, no births were recorded by the county or state. You must search substitute records to locate your ancestor’s birth date and place.
|Records that give birth information:|
Births from 1881 thru 1930
In 1881, Alabama began requiring counties to record births, although not all counties complied or continued to record them on a consistent basis. Birth registers during this period usually do not list the name of the child. If you cannot locate your ancestor in the databases below, try searching for birth information in substitute records.
For births that exist during the time period, try the following database:
|Includes Index Only|
|Alabama Births, 1881-1930||FamilySearch, index only; incomplete|
|Can't find your ancestor in the online index?||Tips for searching online indexes|
|No birth record for your ancestor?||Other records with birth information|
Obtain the Record
With approximate birth years and places, you can locate birth records from 1881-1930 on microfilm available through the Family History Library by searching in the Catalog for ALABAMA [COUNTY] VITAL RECORDS or by contacting the appropriate Alabama county court.
There are no restrictions on these records.
Births after 1908
Statewide registration of births began in 1908 in Alabama, with general compliance by 1927. Currently, the online indexes to Alabama births include births from 1908 to 1930.
Obtain the Certificate
Restrictions for persons born within the last 125 years:
To obtain a copy of the birth certificate for those born within the last 125 years, you must be:
- The person on the certificate
- The parent or grandparent of the person on the certificate
- The spouse of the person on the certificate
- The child of the person on the certificate
- The sibling of the person on the certificate
- The legal guardian of the person on the certificate
- Anyone who has legal interest in the certificate
- NOTE: A copy of the birth certificate cannot be obtained by anyone except those listed above until 125 years have passed from the date of the birth.
If you do not want to order the birth record, there are other records with birth information you can search.