Hoveton St John, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Hoveton St John, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Hoveton St John, Norfolk|
|Poor Law Union||Tunstead and Happing|
|Parish registers: 1673|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1698|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
HOVETON (St. John), a parish, in the Tunstead and Happing incorporation, hundred of Tunstead, E. division of Norfolk, 8½ miles (N. E.) from Norwich. 
Hoveton St John the Baptist is an Ancient Parish in the Waxham deanery of the Diocese of Norwich.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Tunstead 1837-1869
- Smallburgh 1870-1938
- North Walsham 1939-1974
Hoveton St John, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Hoveton St John, Norfolk Genealogy Online Records|
||1674-1899; 1754-1795 (Banns, gaps)||
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 406/1-9
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
http://www.btinternet.com/~e.c.apling/1891Census/Hoveton.htm transcript of 1891 census
Poor Law Unions
For Tunstead and Happing see http://www.institutions.org.uk/workhouses/england/norf/smallburgh_workhouse.htm
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Norfolk: Hoveton St John on GenUKI
- Hoveton St John on A Church Near You
- Images of the interior and exterior of the church
- Hoveton St John Belaugh Postmill on Norfolk Mills.
- British History online
- Hoveton on Norfolk Churches website
- Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 566-569. Date accessed: 15 April 2013.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 25 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 10 February 2014.
- Norfolk Transcription Archive, accessed 15 April 2014.