Houghton le Spring Poor Law Union, Durham Genealogy
History[edit | edit source]
An hospital originally founded by Bernard Gilpin, for six aged people, was rebuilt and endowed by George Lilburne, Esq., and the Rev. George Davenport, formerly rector of the parish; the buildings are situated near the grammar school, and consist of a centre and two wings, each containing two tenements. The union workhouse is a substantial stone building: the union comprises 15 townships in the parish, and the township of Silksworth in the adjoining parish of Bishop-Wearmouth, and contains a population of 16,067.
From: 'Houghton, Glass - Hove', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 562-566. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51049 Date accessed: 24 March 2011.
For more information on the history of the workhouse, see Peter Higginbotham's web site: www.workhouses.org.uk and