Horton St John, Yorkshire Genealogy
Guide to Great Horton St John, Yorkshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
HORTON, or also called Great Horton, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Bradford, wapentake of Morley, W. riding of York, 2 miles (S. W. by W.) from Bradford; containing 17,615 inhabitants (1848). The chapelry is within the borough (of Bradford), and forms a suburb of Bradford. The township is pleasantly situated on an acclivity rising gradually from the town of Bradford to the Clayton Heights; and includes the villages of Great and Little Horton, with those of Lidget-Green and Scholis-Moor.
The chapel (at Great Horton) was built by subscription, in 1808, called St John's; it has since been improved, and contains 750 sittings. Another chapel of ease was built by 1813 to help serve the growing population in the township, called All Saints, whose church registers commence from that year (1813). A church dedicated to St James, in the lower part of Little Horton, was erected in 1840. There were places of worship for Moravians, Wesleyans, Independents, Unitarians, and Primitive Methodists.
The Baptist College at Horton, or "Northern Baptist Education Society," for young men intended for the ministry of that denomination, was first founded in 1804; and the premises, adapted to the accommodation of 30 students. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Horton St John, Yorkshire Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|AC = Ancestry - (£)|
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|ST JOHN HORTON CHAPELRY (1809) Online Records|
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
This ancient parish (AP) was created before 1813. Church of England records began in date.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Yorkshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 557-559. Date accessed: 02 July 2013.
- 'West Yorkshire, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1512-1812,' Ancestry, accessed 10 May 2014.