Horton, Staffordshire Genealogy
Guide to Horton, Staffordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Leek|
|Parish registers: 1653|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1673|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Staffordshire Record Office|
Horton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Staffordshire, Probably created by 1745 from a chapelry in Leek, Staffordshire Ancient Parish. Other places in the parish include: Horton and Horton Hay and Blackwood and Crowborough.
HORTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Leek, N. division of the hundred of Totmonslow and of the county of Stafford, 2¾ miles (W. by N.) from Leek. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Ranters. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Horton parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|HORTON PARISH Online Records|
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Horton, Staffordshire Genealogy 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 557-559. Date accessed: 29 October 2012.
- 'Staffordshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 26 September 2014.
- 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (A-M), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 18 September 2013.
- Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8