Horton, Gloucestershire Genealogy
Guide to Horton, Gloucestershire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Chipping Sodbury|
|Registration District||Chipping Sodbury|
|Parish registers: 1567|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Diocese||Pre 1836 - Gloucester; Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Gloucestershire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
HORTON (St. James), a parish, in the union of Chipping-Sodbury, Upper division of the hundred of Grumbald's-Ash, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 3¼ miles (N. E.) from Chipping-Sodbury.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Horton, Gloucestershire Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|HORTON PARISH Online Records|
|IARC||1658-1785 (gaps)||1672-1776 (gaps)||1661-1769 (gaps)|
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Gloucestershire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Reference[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 557-559. Date accessed: 18 December 2012.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813,' Ancestry, accessed 17 June 2016.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Baptisms, 1813-1913,' Ancestry, accessed 23 June 2016.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Marriages, 1754-1938,' Ancestry, accessed 21 June 2016.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Burials, 1813-1988,' Ancestry, accessed 28 June 2016.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 'Extracts from Parish Registers, No. IV.: Horton,' in Beaver H. Blacker, ed., Gloucestershire Notes and Queries, Vol. 3 (1887):3-5. Digitised by Internet Archive - free.
- 'Gloucestershire Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 18 April 2014.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.