Honing, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Honing, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Tunstead and Happing|
|Parish registers: 1630|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1698|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
HONING, a parish in Tunstead district, Norfolk; on the Ant navigation, 3½ miles SE of North Walsham.
Honing St Peter & St Paul is an Ancient parish in the Waxham deanery of the Diocese of Norwich.
Honing has an entry in the Domesday Book of 1085 where its, its population, land ownership and productive resources were extensively detailed In the survey Honing is recorded by the name of Haninga. The main tenants being the Robert Malet from the abbot of Holme who had held the land before and after 1066, Robert de Glanville from Robert Malet, and Ranulf brother of Ilger. The survey also list that there have always been 13 smallholders on this land. 2 ploughs in lordship; 3 men’s ploughs; meadow, 35 acres; woodland, 8 pigs; 1 mill: 2 cobs; 4 head of cattle; 12 pigs; 40 sheep; 30 goats. Also 8 freemen, 41 acres. Always 2 ploughs; meadow, 5 acres. Value of the whole 40s. It has 1 league in length and 10 furlongs in width; tax of 10d, whoever holds there
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Tunstead 1837-1869
- Smallburgh 1870-1938
- North Walsham 1939-1974
Honing, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Honing, Norfolk Genealogy Online Records|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 68
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
http://www.btinternet.com/~e.c.apling/1891Census/Honing.htm transcript of 1891 census
Poor Law Unions
For Tunstead and Happing see http://www.institutions.org.uk/workhouses/england/norf/smallburgh_workhouse.htm
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Norfolk: Honing on GenUKI
- Honing St Peter St Paul on A Church Near You
- Church of St Peter and St Paul - Honing on British Listed Buildings
- Honing on Norfolk Churches website
- John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 25 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Norfolk, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 February 2014.
- Norfolk Transcription Archive, accessed 15 April 2014.
- 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.