Hofors Parish, Gävleborg, Sweden Genealogy
Guide to Hofors Parish, Sweden ancestry, family history, and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- 1 History
- 2 Place Names
- 3 Collections
- 3.1 Census Records
- 3.2 Church Records
- 3.3 Military Records
- 3.4 Related Sources
- 3.5 Help Reading Swedish Records
- 3.6 Help Reading Old Handwriting
- 3.7 Help With Research Objectives and Strategies
- 3.8 References
Hofors is a municipality in Gävleborg County, east central Sweden and its seat is in Hofors.
The first municipality with the name of Hofors was broken away from Torsåker in 1925 but in 1971 the two entities were reunited to form the present municipality.
|Hofors Parish, Gävleborg, Sweden Genealogy|
|Pastorat||-1943 Torsåker, 1944- Hofors|
|Tingslag||1911-1920 Gästriklands västra, 1921-1970 Gästriklands västra domsagas|
|Domsaga||1911-1920 Gästriklands, 1921-1970 Gästriklands västra, 1971- Sandvikens tingsrätts|
|Fögderi||1911- 1917 Gästriklands Fögderi , 1918-1970 Storviks Fögderi, 1971- Sandvikens Fögderi|
|Kommun||1911-1924 Torsåker, 1925- Hofors|
|Militär indelning||add here|
|NAD Ref Code||SE/HLA/1010073|
|National Archive SVAR||link|
|SCB Congregation map||link|
|Open Street map||link|
No village index, only names of people listed.
- Surrounding Parishes
- Sweden Household Examination Records (Husförhörslängder)--explanation of this church record which is functionally the census of Sweden.
- Sweden Household Examination Books, 1880 - 1920, ($), index and images. Also on Ancestry.com, ($), Arkiv Digital ($), and SVAR at Riksarkivet.
Online Database Church Records
The easiest way to access the Swedish Church Records is through the internet, using these five sites (see links to specific collections below). Four of these sites require a subscription for access. (ArkivDigital, Ancestry.com, and MyHeritage.com are available at a FamilyHistory Center near you free of charge.)
- Sweden, Gävleborg Church Records, 1616-1908; index 1671-1860 at FamilySearch.
- MyHeritage.com ($),
- Ancestry.com ($),
- Arkiv Digital ($), and
- SVAR at Riksarkivet.
Help Using ArkivDigital: Online Databases for Sweden
- These lessons will teach you how to use ArkivDigital:
Family History Library Records
Click Sweden, Gävleborg Records for a full listing of microfilmed records (some digitized online) at the Family History Librarythat may be digitized. Check back occasionally to see if your records have become available. In the meantime, some of them might be available at a Family History Center near you.
Click on "Places within Sweden, Gävleborg" and then select your parish.
Help Reading Swedish Records
- You do not have to be fluent in Swedish to read these records! They have a limited vocabulary: mother, father, born, bride, groom, married, etc. The rest of the content will be names, dates, and places, which do not need translation.
- This Swedish Word List covers typical terms found in the records.
- Swedish Historical Dictionary Database, SHDD: This interactive dictionary allows you to enter a word in the search box and receive the translation.
- Feast Day Calendar (Moveable) and Feast Day Lists (Fixed and Moveable) will help you translate dates written in feast day form.
- Sweden surnames are patronymic and change every generation, so carefully study Sweden Names, Personal.
- For help with reading the column headings found in more recent records, see Swedish Parish Register and Household Exam Roll Headings.
- Instructions, document examples, and translations are given for Reading Swedish Birth and Christening Records 1717, 1752, 1771, 1792, 1803, 1834, 1854.
Help Reading Old Handwriting
- Reading Scandinavian Gothic Handwritten Records: (free, online lessons at FamilySearch):
Help With Research Objectives and Strategies
Hofors parish, parish book AIIa:2 1911-1916.
Jurisdictional Information from: Riksarkivet. "Hofors Församling." Nationell ArkivDatabas (NAD). March 2015 http://www.nad.riksarkivet.se/