Hillsdale County, Michigan Genealogy
Guide to Hillsdale County, Michigan ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Hillsdale County, Michigan|
Location of Michigan in the U.S.
|Founded||October 29, 1829|
|Address|| Hillsdale County Courthouse|
29 N Howell St.
Hillsdale, MI 49242
Phone: (517) 437-3391
Hillsdale County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
The County was named for its rolling terrain. The County has Hillsdale as its seat and the County was created 1835. The County is located in the south central area of the state.
Hillsdale County, Michigan Record Dates
1829--Hillsdale County was created 29 October 1829 from unorganized territory. It was attached to Lenawee County prior to organization 11 February 1835. County seat: Hillsdale 
For animated maps illustrating Michigan county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Michigan County Boundary Maps" (1790-1897) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Michigan Cemeteries for more information.|
• Hill/Jennings Section 26, 100 block of Holcomb Road, North Adams.
• Holcomb Cemetery Corner of Holcomb and Hoxie Rds. ( moved to N. Adams)
• Kirby Cemetery section 29, 100 Block, N. Pleasant Lake Road
• North Adams/North Lawn/Northlawn Section 3, 500 block of Knowles Road, North Adams.
• Allen Cemetery 700 Block, section 10, on Edon or M-49 & US 12
• Cutter/East Allen/North Sand Lake/Sand Lake Section 13, Sand Lake and Weston Roads, Allen
• Dorris/Walsh Cemetery section 18, Squires Rd. (moved to Allen Cem. 1967)
• East Allen Cemetery - corner of Sand Lake Rd. and Arkansaw Road.
• Layton Family Cemetery section 18, on Andy McMullen farm (2 graves), off Hog Creek Road and Chicago Road/US-12.
• North Sand Lake Cemetery Section 13, Sand Lake & Weston Roads.
• South Allen Cemetery – Section 28, 100 block of South Allen Rd. & Arkansaw Road.
• Alfred/Converse Cemetery sec. 36, Grass Lake Road. Located 1 1/2 mi. no. of Territorial Rd on Grass Lake Rd. (This cemetery is back in a wooded area.)
• Cellers Cemetery sec. 34, Cellers Rd. (abandoned).
• Drake/Baker Cemetery sec. 1, 2000 Block, E. Territorial Road.
• East Amboy/Agnew Cemetery sec. 5, 1400 Block, Crampton Road.
• Hagaman Cemetery sec. 3, 1200 Block, W. Territorial Road.
• Osborn aka West Amboy Cemetery – 938 Osborn, a/k/a West Amboy Cemetery sec. 10, 1500 Block, W. Territorial Rd. (around church)
• Robison Farm Cemetery sec. 9, Territorial Road. Located on E side of Robison Road. Marker in fence row, E side of a 20 acre field. (Abandoned)
• Bankers Cemetery sec. 5, 3000 Block, Cole Road.
• Cambria (Old) Cemetery Cambria Road (North of Cambria Village).
• Cambria (New) Cemetery sec. 21, 500 Block, Cambria Road.
• Dow Cemetery sec.14, Hillsdale Rd. near Card Rd.
• Morgan Cemetery sec.13, Foust Rd.
• Potter's Field west side of Cambria Road between Bankers Road & Bear Lake Road
• Willits Cemetery sec 18, W. Card Rd. & Carpenter Rd.
• Wyllys-Sebring Cemetery sec. 18, corner of Hillsdale Rd. & Reynolds Rd.
• Amish Cemetery sec. 24, Gilmore Rd
• Berg Cemetery sec. 9, Long Lake Rd.
• Camden Cemetery sec. 22, Camden Rd
• Palmer Cemetery sec. 2, Territorial Rd.
Fayette Township Surname Index
• Sunset View Cemetery sec. 33, 490 Oak St., Jonesville
• King Lake Cemetery 1800 Bankers Rd.
• Lake View Cemetery formerly Dutch Hill Cemetery, aka German Cemetery. Barnard Street.
• Oak Grove Cemetery Montgomery St, North end of West St.
• St. Anthony's Cemetery Steamburg Rd. (edge of Hillsdale)
Jefferson Township Surname Index
• Black Cemetery. Black Cemetery is located in Sec. 26 of Jefferson Township, on the east side of Tripp Road, between Reading and Skuse Roads. (Small, behind barn, abandoned).
• Blount Cemetery sec. 20, 400 E. Reading Rd. (Corner of Lake Pleasant).
• East Hill Cemetery. East Hill Cemetery is located in the 600 Block of Beecher Road, Jefferson Township, Osseo, Hillsdale Co.
• Greenwood Cemetery (aka Perrin Cemetery and Pittsford Cemetery) is located on the south side of E. Reading Rd. near S. Pittsford Rd. in Jefferson Twp. (It is directly across the road from Leonardson Cemetery.) sec. 24, 800 Block E. Reading Rd.
• Leonardson Cemetery is located in Jefferson Township of Hillsdale Co., Michigan. sec. 13, 800 Block E. Reading Rd. (Corner of Pittsford).
• Maplegrove Cemetery sec. 20, 400 E. Reading Rd. (corner of Lake Pleasant).
• South Osseo Cemetery sec. 9, Bird Lake Rd. (Abandoned).
• Taylor/S. Osseo Cemetery sec. 9, 300 Block, Bird Lake Rd.
Litchfield Township Surname Index
• Litchfield Cemetery (old) E. St. Joe St., Litchfield City ( not used)
• Mt. Hope Cemetery sec. 14, 600 Block of Homer Road/M-99, Litchfield, (1 mile s/e of city). Includes burials moved from Hadley's Corners.
• Sand Creek Cemetery sec. 34, 700 Block, Genesse Rd., (between Anderson & Ash)
• Saratoga Cemetery sec. 5, 900 Block, W. Mosherville Rd. (1 mile west of M-99)
• Todd Town Cemetery sec. 32, 900 Block, 9890 Genesse Rd. (2 miles W. of M49)
• Blackmar aka Pike Cemetery is located on US-12 in Sec. 16, Moscow Twp., Moscow.
• Moscow Plains Cemetery sec. 20, US 12-E and East Hastings Lake Road, behind Methodist Church.
• Old Soldier aka Old Moscow Cemetery sec. 11, west side of Moscow Rd. on southern edge of the Village of Moscow.
• Randolph Cemetery is located in Sec. 36, on Chandler Road near Kies Road.
• Rice aka New Moscow Cemetery is located on the north edge of the Village of Moscow, north of US12 on the east side of Moscow Road.
• Richards Cemetery sec. 2, Moscow Rd., (faces Marker Rd. 1/2 mile in Hillsdale)
• Stoll or Mennonite Cemetery sec. 26, east side of Moscow Road, 1/2 mile south of Sterling Road
• Calvary Cemetery is located South West of Hudson on US-127 about 1/2 mile South of M-34 in Hillsdale County.
• Goodrich Cemetery sec. 14, Hudson Rd. (W. of Hudson-abandoned) See also this reading
• Locust Corners Cemetery is located North East of the Waldron Road & Beecher Road intersection in Pittsford Twp.
• Wolf Cemetery is a private cemetery located on the south side of Egypt Rd. west of Wolf Rd. in Pittsford Twp. The cemetery is on the Wolf family farm. (Abandoned.)
Ransom Township Surname Index
• Andridge Cemetery - sec. 7, 9000 Block, Crampton Rd.
• Wild Cherry Cemetery sec. 7, 9000 Block, Crampton Rd.
• Evergreen (Burt) Cemetery is located in Section 23 of Ransom Township, 700 block of E. Burt Road, Ransom.
• Doty/Joel Cemetery sec. 5, Lake Pleasant Rd.
• Eggleston Cemetery sec. 2, Tripp Rd. (corner Tripp & Squawfield)
• Wild Cherry Cemetery is located on Crampton Road, between Tamarack and Montgomery Rds. in Ransom Township, Hillsdale Co.
Reading Township Surname Index
• East Maplewood (new) Cemetery sec. 23, 5455 Edon Rd., (edge of old Reading)
• Gleason Cemetery sec. 33, 800 Block, 8386 Berry Rd.
• Methodist Church Cemetery 312 E. Michigan St. (within city)
• North Reading Cemetery sec. 3, 700 Block, Bankers Rd. (near Balcom Rd.)
• Reading (old) Cemetery sec. 26, 321 E. Michigan ST. (behind Methodist Church)
• South Reading Cemetery sec. 33, 800 Block, 8386 Berry Rd.
• West Maplewood (old) Cemetery sec. 22, 54545 Edon Rd. (M49) (edge of Reading)
• West Reading Cemetery sec. 30, 1000 Block, 10121 W. Reading Rd.
Scipio Township Surname Index
• Case Cemetery sec. 2, Litchfield Rd. (corner of Litchfield & Borden)
• Johnson Cemetery is located North East of Jonesville on Concord Rd. between Sterling Road and Hastings Lake Rd.
• Mosherville Cemetery sec. 4, Pierce St. & Mosherville Rd. (edge of village).
• Pope Cemetery sec. 13, Pope Rd. (about 2 miles from the road)
Somerset Township Surname Index
• Aldrich (new) Cemetery sec. 28, 700 Block, N. Waldron Rd.
• Aldrich (old) Cemetery sec. 27, 700 Block, N. Waldron Rd.
• Brooke Cemetery sec. 11, Chicago Rd. (abandoned)
• Crego Cemetery sec. 5, on Brazee Lake (abandoned)
• Fowle Cemetery is located on Cemetery Road, just east of Round Lake Road in Sec. 7.
• Gambleville Cemetery sec. 11, Chicago Rd. (abandoned).
• Jerome Cemetery sec. 13, Moreland Rd. (edge of Jerome)
• Pratt/Smith Cemetery sec. 25, Meridian & Calhoun Rds. (abandoned)
• Somerset Center Cemetery is located behind the Somerset Center United Methodist Church, Section 10, corner of Waldron Road and US-12
• Somerset Cemetery sec. 12, Somerset Rd, N of US 12, beside Congregational church.
• Un-named Cemetery sec. 21, Sand Hill Rd. ( abandoned)
• Un-named Cemetery sec. 1, corner of Harper & Somerset, (now a residence)
Wheatland Township Surname Index
• Church's Corner Cemetery sec. 21, 200 Block, NW corner of Waldron and Church Roads.
• Dibble Cemetery sec. 11, North Adams Rd., between Wheatland and Somerset
• Evergreen Cemetery sec. 10, 1200 Block, Hoxie Rd. (little)
• Pease Cemetery sec. 8, 100 Block, N. Adams Rd. Pease Cemetery is located in the 1000 block of North Adams Road, North Adams, Wheatland Township, Hillsdale Co.
• Taylor Cemetery sec. 25, Somerset Rd. between Ames & Stewert Rds. (abandoned)
• Divine Cemetery sec. 5, Dimmers Rd., Cambria.
• Frontier Cemetery is located on Clark Road, 1/4 mile south of Montgomery Road in Woodbridge Township, Hillsdale Co.
• Sheldon Cemetery sec. 10, Montgomery Rd.
• West Woodbridge Cemetery sec. 20, Burt Rd., Camden;.
Wright Township Surname Index
• Emens/Prattville Cemetery sec. 11, Prattville Rd. (1/2 mile from Prattville)
• Lickley's Corners Cemetery is located in Wright Twp. on Lickley Road between Squawfield Road and Tamarack Road (about ¼ mill off road). The markers at the entrance read "Lickley's Corners Cemetery 1848-1954", but the name is now usually spelled "Lickley's Corners".
• Waldron Cemetery sec. 34, Broom Rd.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Michigan denominations, view the Michigan Church Records wiki page.
Emigration and Immigration
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Michigan Land and Property for additional information about early Michigan land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Hillsdale County, Michigan Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Michigan Local Histories.
- Family Maps of Hillsdale County, Michigan Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Maps of Michigan (1790-1897)
Finding More Michigan Newspapers
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Hillsdale County, Michigan Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
In most counties in Michigan, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate packets, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Michigan, Hillsdale and search for Probate records in the list.
- Note: Not every county in Michigan will have Probate Records in the FamilySearch Catalog.
Online Probate Records
- 1784 – 1980 Michigan Wills and Probate Records 1784-1980 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1797 – 1973 Michigan Probate Records 1797-1973 at FamilySearch — images
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased as shown below:
- Birth Records and Death Records from the Michigan Department of Community Health (from 1867) or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred.
- Marriage Records (from 1867) and Divorce Records (from 1897) from the County Clerk.
- Marriage Records (from 1867) and Divorce Records (from 1897) from the County Clerk.
- 1867-1917 - Michigan, County Births, 1867-1917 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1867-1902 - Michigan Birth Registrations, 1867-1902-- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as name of child, birthdate and place, if still-born, illegitimate or twin, gender, race and record number.
- 1585-1945 - Michigan, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1820-1937 - Michigan, County Marriages Index, 1820-1937 at FamilySearch — index
- 1820-1940 - Michigan, County Marriages, 1820-1940 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1868-1925 - Michigan Marriage Registrations, 1868-1925 -- Free name indexes at FamilySearch. Records include such information as names of bride and groom, date of license, ages, race, residences, birthplaces, occupations and names of the fathers of the bride and groom.
- 1850-1880 - Michigan Mortality Schedules, 1850-1880 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1867-1897 - Michigan Death Registrations, 1867-1897 -- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as name of deceased, date and place of death, gender, color, marital status, age in years, months and days, disease or apparent cause of death, birthplace, names and occupations of parents, and the date the record was made.
Societies and Libraries
Hillsdale County Historical Society
180 N Wolcott St.
Hillsdale, MI 49242
Hillsdale County Historical Society
22 N. Manning St.
Southern Michigan Genealogical Society
239 E Chicago Road
Allen MI 49227
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Jonesville Michigan Family History Center 425 Parkwood, Jonesville, MI 49250 United States
- Hillsdale County, MI History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Michigan Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Michigan Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Hillsdale County MI Genealogy (LDS Genealogy)
- Wikipedia contributors, "Hillsdale County, Michigan" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillsdale_County,_Michigan."
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 369-384. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Hillsdale County, Michigan page 345, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).