Highland County, Virginia Genealogy
Guide to Highland County Virginia ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, immigration records, and military records.
|Highland County, Virginia|
Location in the state of Virginia
Location of Virginia in the U.S.
- 1 Highland County, Virginia Courthouse
- 2 Highland County, Virginia History
- 3 Highland County, Virginia Places/Localities
- 4 Highland County, Virginia Genealogy Resources
- 4.1 Research Guides
- 4.2 Bible Records
- 4.3 Cemeteries
- 4.4 Census
- 4.5 Church Records
- 4.6 Court
- 4.7 Genealogy
- 4.8 Land and Property
- 4.9 Local Histories
- 4.10 Maps
- 4.11 Military
- 4.12 Miscellaneous Records
- 4.13 Newspapers
- 4.14 Probate Records
- 4.15 Taxation
- 4.16 Vital Records
- 5 Highland County, Virginia Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 6 Highland County, Virginia Genealogy Websites
- 7 References
Highland County, Virginia Courthouse
Highland County Courthouse
P.O. Box 190
Monterey, VA 24465-0190
Clerk Circuit Court has birth records from 1850-1898,
marriage, divorce and land records from 1850
probate records from 1860 and court records from 1837
Highland County, Virginia History
The county takes its name from its elevation in the Appalachian Mountains.
For animated maps illustrating Virginia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Virginia County Boundary Maps" (1617-1995) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
- Lost census: 1890
Highland County, Virginia Places/Localities
Highland County, Virginia Genealogy Resources
- Hamilton, Clay. "Genealogical Research in Highland County," The Virginia Genealogical Society Newsletter, Vol. 29, No. 3 (June 2003):1-2. FHL Collection; digital version at Virginia Genealogical Society website.
Images of the Virginia Historical Society's family Bible collection have been digitized:
- Virginia Historical Society Papers, 1607-2007 - browse collection at FamilySearch; free.
Additional Bible records include:
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Virginia Cemeteries for more information.|
The Genealogy Center at Allen County Public Library (Indiana) has a number of searchable databases of Highland County cemeteries:
For tips on accessing Highland County, Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: Virginia Census.
1890 Union Veterans
- Turner, Ronald Ray. Virginia's Union Veterans: Eleventh Census of the United States 1890. Available online, courtesy: Prince William County Virginia website. [Includes residents of this county.]
More than 15 genealogies have been published about Highland County families. To view a list, visit Highland County, Virginia Compiled Genealogies.
Land and Property
An early settlers map is available for Highland County. Cambelt plots the locations of pioneers' farms. The Family History Library has a copy: FHL Map 975.589 E7c (2 parts).
- Morton, Oren Frederic. A Handbook of Highland County and a Supplement to Pendleton and Highland History. Monterey, Va.: Highland Recorder, 1922. FHL Collection; digital version at Ancestry ($).
- Morton, Oren Frederic. A History of Highland County, Virginia. Monterey, Va.: Morton, c1911. Original edition: FHL Collection; 1979 reprint with index: FHL Collection; digital versions of original edition at Ancestry ($); and World Vital Records ($).
- 1848 - Householders in 1848, as located on the map of the County Surveyor (VAGenWeb) - free.
War of 1812
- Highland County, Virginia Soldiers in the War of 1812
- List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for Why Pensioned, the Post-Office Address, the Rate of Pension Per Month, and the Date of Original Allowance... Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1883. FHL Book 973 M2Lp v. 5; digital versions at Google Books and Internet Archive. [See Vol. 5, Virginia, Highland County, p. 86. Identifies War of 1812 veterans living in this county in 1883.]
- 1861-1865 - Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
Regiments. Service men in Highland County, Virginia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Highland County, Virginia Genealogy:
- - 14th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Company A (White's Mounted Riflemen), Company C (Valley Cavalry or Rangers).
- - 18th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Company G.
- - 25th Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Heck's) (Confederate). Company D (Highland Rangers).
- - 26th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Company E.
- - 31st Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate). Future 2nd Company B (The Highlanders) and Company E (Highland County Highlanders).
- - 62nd Regiment, Virginia Mounted Infantry (Confederate). Company A (Valley Rifles).
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battle was fought in Highland County:
The Virginia Newspapers Project identifies local Highland County, Virginia Genealogy newspapers.
- 1893-1910 - Highland Recorder at Chronicling America - free.
Indexes to Highland County, Virginia Genealogy births, marriages, and deaths are available online. These collections are incomplete, but are easy to search. Most records can also be ordered electronically online as well. Courtesy: FamilySearch - free. See also How to order Virginia Vital Records
- 1853-1896 - Fridley, Beth, comp. Highland County Virginia Birth Records, 1853-1896 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2001. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- 1660-1959 - Virginia, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1740-1850 - Virginia Marriages 1740-1850 (Ancestry) ($).
- 1854-1951 - Highland County Marriage Index 1854-1951. Batch M868770 at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
|For birth, marriage, and death record substitutes, see Bible Records, Cemeteries, Church Records, Newspapers, and Probate Records.|
Highland County, Virginia Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
Highland County, Virginia Genealogy Websites
- Highland Co., VAGenWeb. Part of the USGenWeb Project. Maps, name indexes, history.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Highland County, VA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy (Familytree101)
- Cyndi's List
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Higland County, Virginia. Page 715 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Robert J. Driver, 14th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, c1988). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 47.
- Roger U. Delauter, 18th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1985). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 18.
- Richard L. Armstrong, 25th Virginia Infantry and 9th Battalion Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1990). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 71.
- Richard L. Armstrong, 26th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1994). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 110.
- John M. Ashcraft, 31st Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1988). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 48.
- Roger U. Delauter, 62nd Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1988). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 41.
- Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 2 August 2012).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/3/37/Igivirginia.pdf.