|Hertfordshire Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Family history societies often publish helpful journals, transcripts, compiled genealogies and host helpful websites. They may have ongoing projects to transcribe records and create indexes. Most societies publish queries in their journals and maintain lists of members’ research interests that may be helpful to you. You may want to join one of these societies, reap the benefits of their expertise and resources, or support its efforts.
Addresses of the societies are for the most part where their meetings are held as they are by-and-large not brick-and-mortar institutions.
Regional Societies[edit | edit source]
Cholesbury & St Leonard's Local History Group
St Leonards Parish Hall
Dacorum, Hertfordshire HP23 6NW UK
Telephone: 01494 758890
Website: Cholesbury & St Leonard's Local History Group
- Cholesbury & St Leonard's Local History Group is an amateur society founded in the early Sixties to stimulate interest in the Hilltop Villages. A regular feature has been the talks by guest speakers, be they acknowledged experts or enthusiastic amateurs, and the emphasis is naturally on subjects local to the Chilterns.
- One of the Society’s objects is to advance the education of the public in the character and history of the geographic area comprising The Hundred Parishes, which encompasses around 450 square miles of northwest Essex, northeast Hertfordshire, and southern Cambridgeshire.
Lincoln Record Society
Robert Hardy Building
Bishop Grosseteste University College
Lincoln, Lincolnshire LN1 3DY UK
Website: Lincoln Record Society
- The Society was founded in 1910 to print records and documents relating to the ancient county and diocese of Lincoln. The ancient diocese covered not only Lincolnshire, the second largest county of England, but also the wide area which lay within the medieval diocese: the counties of Lincoln, Leicester, Northampton, Rutland, Oxford, Bedford, Buckingham, Huntingdon and northern Hertford. Since 1910 the Society has published ninety nine volumes many of which are still in print.
- The Society's objectives are to safeguard, record and preserve the local history of Royston and the area for future generations; increase the level of interest and awareness of local history amongst the town’s residents; contribute to the growth of the Museum; maintain and preserve the Royston Cave for the benefit of the town; and provide consultation on planning applications relating to the historic fabric of the town.
Hertfordshire Societies[edit | edit source]
Abbots Langley Local History Society
Manor House Sports & Social Centre
Gallows Hill Lane
Abbots Langley, Hertfordshire WD5 0DD UK
Website: Abbots Langley Local History Society
- The Society's objectives are to encourage interest in the recent and distant past history of the area, particularly the landscape, buildings and, of course, the people.
Baldock Museum & Local History Society
Baldock Community Centre
Baldock, Hertfordshire SG7 6DH UK
Telephone: 01462 892640
Website: Baldock Museum & Local History Society
- Baldock Museum is a small community-run museum that charts the changing fortunes of the market town, founded by the Knights Templar around 1148, on the site of an earlier Iron Age and Roman settlement. The museum looks at Baldock's medieval merchants, and the prosperous maltsters and brewers of its Georgian heyday whose grand houses still line the town's centre.
- The Baldock Society works to stimulate interest in the market town of Baldock in Hertfordshire, UK, with the aim of preserving the local historic environment and providing a forum for our members to meet and discuss matters affecting the town.
- Our Local History Society helps you find more about Barnet’s past and meet other people who enjoy history. The Museum focuses on Chipping Barnet, East Barnet, New Barnet, Hadley, and the surrounding districts.
Berkhamsted & District Archaeological Society
Berkhamsted, Hertfordshire HP4 2BA UK
Telephone: 01442 863760
Website: Berkhamsted & District Archaeological Society
- For more than forty years Berkhamsted and District Archaeological Society has offered a hands-on opportunity for local people to explore the history of this area.
Berkhamsted Local History & Museum Society
196 High St
Berkhamsted, Hertfordshire HP4 3AP UK
Telephone: 01442 874598
Website: Berkhamsted Local History & Museum Society
- The aim of the Berkhamsted Local History & Museum Society is to encourage the study and appreciation of local history, genealogy, and other subjects of historical interest.
Bishop's Stortford and District Local History Society
Apton Road Centre
22 Apton Road
Bishops Stortford, Hertfordshire CM23 3SN UK
Telephone: 01279 655396
Website: Bishop's Stortford and District Local History Society
- The aims and object of the society are to bring together persons interested in the history of Bishop's Stortford and District.
Braughing Local History Society
St Marys Church Hall & Old Boys School
9 Church End
Braughing, Hertfordshire SG11 2QA UK
Website: Braughing Local History Society
- The Braughing Local History Society aims to gather information and research into the lives of local people, their experiences, and changes in the environment. It also aims to disseminate this information to enable interested parties to extend their knowledge and understanding through meetings, articles, and publications.
Buntingford Railway & Local History Society
Crown Public House
Buntingford, Hertfordshire SG9 9AB UK
Telephone: 01763 272135
Website: Buntingford Railway & Local History Society
- The Society was formed to promote interest in the local history of Buntingford and the surrounding area and in particular the old railway line called 'The Buntingford Branch' but known affectionately as 'The Bunt' to those people who worked on the line.
- Codicote Local History Society exists to further the study of local and family history in the Codicote area and to spread knowledge about this subject.
East Herts Archaeological Society
Bengeo Parish Church Hall
Church of Saint Leonard
Hertford, Hertfordshire SG14 3JW UK
Website: East Herts Archaeological Society
- Our aims are to foster interest in the county’s archaeology and history, to promote and assist in excavations and historical investigations and to help protect ancient buildings and monuments in East Herts.
Harpenden and District Local History Society
Harpenden Public Hall
Harpenden, Hertfordshire AL5 1PD UK
Website: Harpenden Local History Society
- Harpenden and District Local History Society was founded in 1973 with the intention of researching and recording Harpenden's history and making it known by means of meetings, publications and exhibitions. We have a collection of maps, photographs, and artefacts relating to the past history of Harpenden which are on show in quarterly exhibitions at Park Hall, Leyton Road, Harpenden on selected Saturdays, and can be viewed at other times by appointment with our curator.
Hatfield Local History Society
Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL10 0BU UK
Website: Hatfield Local History Society
Website #2: Hatfield Local History Society
Website #3: Hatfield Local History Society
- Our aims and objectives are to encourage and undertake research into Hatfield’s history, to produce publications on aspects of Hatfield’s history, to provide a forum for the exchange of information, to arrange meetings & outings, and to produce a quarterly newsletter.
Hemel Hempstead Local History and Museum Society
Carey Baptist Church Hall
Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire HP1 1LD UK
Telephone: 01442 398285
Website: Hemel Hempstead Local History and Museum Society
Website #2: Hemel Hempstead Local History and Museum Society
- We are a friendly group of people who are all interested in the local history of the area, and look forward to the day when Hemel can have its own local museum. The society has one of the largest specialist lending libraries of books in Hertfordshire, covering all aspects of the history & archaeology of this part of the county and also further afield.
Hertford & Ware Local History Society
St Andrew’s Church Centre
St Andrew St
Hertford, Hertfordshire SG14 1HZ UK
St Mary’s Church Annex
Ware, Hertfordshire SG12 9EH UK
Website: Hertford & Ware Local History Society
- The objects of the Society are the study and enjoyment of all aspects of the history of Hertford, Ware, and the neighbourhood; to encourage the furtherance of knowledge of that history through research, meetings, discussion, lectures, visits, and excursions, publications and any other appropriate means; and to liaise with other local and neighbouring societies with similar or kindred interests.
Hertfordshire Association for Local History
The British Schools Museum
41-42 Queen Street
Hitchin, Hertfordshire SG4 9TS UK
Telephone: 01707 284047
Website: Hertfordshire Association for Local History
- Promoting the study and enjoyment of history in Hertfordshire.
- The Society was founded in 1977 with a brief to educate and inform the public about genealogy with its focus on the county of Hertfordshire.
Hertfordshire Record Society
Bengeo Parish Church Hall
Church of Saint Leonard
Hertford, Hertfordshire SG14 3JW UK
Telephone: 01923 248581
Website: Hertfordshire Record Society
- To advance the education of the public in the history of Hertfordshire, and for this purpose and not otherwise to publish transcripts, abstracts, and edited texts of documentary sources relative to such history.
- Founded in 1977, Hitchin Historical Society is a registered charity whose object is to increase and spread knowledge of all aspects of the history of Hitchin. We also liaise with other local societies on issues where we feel that account should be taken of the town’s historic character.
The Hunsdon Local History & Preservation Society
45 High St
Ware, Hertfordshire SG12 8NJ UK
Telephone: 01279 842581
Website: The Hunsdon Local History & Preservation Society
- This Society formally took shape in 1980 with the intention of providing a group which would attempt to inform local residents and others in matters of historical interest in the Village. The group also takes an interest in conservation matters in the Village to try to preserve the historic aspects of the Village like the Conservation Area.
Kings Langley Local History & Museum Society
Christ Church Baptist Church
Kings Langley, Hertfordshire WD4 8ET UK
Telephone: 01923 264689
Website: Kings Langley Local History & Museum Society
- The Local History & Museum Society has been actively collecting artefacts and documents concerning Kings Langley and Chipperfield for over 40 years. It has built up an impressive collection including many reports transcribed from originals. Our considerable and growing list of publications includes leaflets, booklets, and books.
- The Lemsford Local History Group, formed in 2001, is interested in all aspects of the history and the people of this area - both ancient and modern.
Letchworth and District Family History Group
Mrs Howard Memorial Hall
Norton Way S
Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire SG6 1NX UK
Website: Letchworth and District Family History Group
- The Letchworth and District Family History Group was founded in February 1995. At present they have members, who come from Baldock, Hitchin, Letchworth, Stotfold, and Welwyn Garden City.
London Colney Local History Society
Caledon Community Centre
St Albans, Hertfordshire AL2 1PU UK
Website: London Colney Local History Society
- The London Colney Local History Society was founded in 1997 when a group of like-minded residents decided that there was a need to record and preserve the past and continuing history of London Colney, and the surrounding area, for future generations.
Markyate Local History Society
St Albans, Hertfordshire AL3 8JE UK
Telephone: 01582 414057
Website: Markyate Local History Society
- This site was, up until 31st December 2014, for the Markyate Local History Society but now is a general site for Markyate History. In 2015 new pages on Markyate's history will be added.
North Hertfordshire Archaeological Society
North Hertfordshire Museum
Hitchin, Hertfordshire SG5 1JE UK
Website: North Hertfordshire Archaeological Society
- North Hertfordshire Archaeological Society was established in 1960 and has undertaken a wide range of research into the archaeology and heritage of the district since then.
- Norton Community Archaeology Group was established in 2006 to investigate the archaeology of the historic parish of Norton in Hertfordshire, now part of Letchworth Garden City. Norton has extraordinarily well preserved historical records covering 1000 years of our social history and unspoilt archaeology spanning 10,000 years.
- The Park Street & Frogmore Society covers the villages of Park Street, Frogmore, and Colney Street, near St Albans, Hertfordshire. Formed in 1995, we help to promote interest in local and natural history.
- Pirton Local History Group was formed in 1984 specifically to research and record the history of Pirton in Hertfordshire.
Potters Bar & District Historical Society
Sixty Plus Room
34 Darkes Ln
Potters Bar, Hertfordshire EN6 2AA UK
Website: Potters Bar & District Historical Society
- The Society is dedicated to the local history of Potters Bar, Hertfordshire and the surrounding villages. The Society has recently expanded its area of interest following the closure of the North Mymms Historical Society.
- The Society's activities cover the history of the "old parish area" of Rickmansworth which includes Chorleywood, West Hyde, Mill End, Croxley Green, Loudwater, Batchworth, and Eastbury as well as the town of Rickmansworth.
Sawbridgeworth Local History Society
Sawbridgeworth, Hertfordshire CM21 9AW UK
Email #2: email@example.com
Website: Sawbridgeworth Local History Society
- The Society has been inspired to branch out into general local history, researching, collecting, recording, and preserving the heritage of our town and the surrounding area.
South West Herts Archaeological & Historical Society
22 The Avenue
Watford, Hertfordshire WD17 4NR UK
Telephone: 01923 265992
Website: South West Herts Archaeological & Historical Society
- The Society was founded in 1954 and formerly carried out a variety of archaeological investigations in South West Herts. Some of its finds may be seen in museums in Waford and elsewhere in the area. Currently the Society provides a varied programme of lectures by experts in local, national, and international topics.
St Albans and Hertfordshire Architectural and Archaeological Society
Marlborough Road Methodist Church
69 Marlborough Rd
St. Albans, Hertfordshire AL1 3XG UK
Website: St Albans and Hertfordshire Architectural and Archaeological Society
Website #2: St Albans and Hertfordshire Architectural and Archaeological Society
- The objectives of the Society are to promote interest in the architecture, archaeology and history of St. Albans and Hertfordshire; to secure the protection of monuments and other features of architectural or archaeological interest in the area; to encourage the preservation of documents and graphic records of historical interest; to promote and participate in archaeological work, and research into local history; to arrange meetings, lectures, exhibitions and visits; and to promote the publication of papers, reports and other literature.
- Bringing the history of Stanstead Abbotts to everyone in the village.
Stevenage Family History Society
The Friends Meeting House
21 Cuttys Lane
Stevenage, Hertfordshire SG1 1UP UK
Website: Stevenage Family History Society
Website #2: Stevenage Family History Society
- The Stevenage Family History Society is a relatively small group but quite active, holding a monthly meeting plus arranging coach trips and other activities throughout the year. The Stevenage in their name reflects their location rather than their interests, and their members are researching ancestors from all over the UK, plus a few international links. Due to this they have a wide experience and while perhaps not experts in any specific field, they can usually help with queries.
- Tring's history forms the background to everyday life in our market town and surrounding villages. Quite a lot of the history is known but there is always more to find out. The Society founded and maintains the Local History Museum on a voluntary basis and new volunteers are always welcome.
Walkern History Society
Walkern Sports and Community Centre
Stevenage, Hertfordshire SG2 7N UK
Telephone: 01438 861453
Website: Walkern History Society
Watford & District Industrial History Society
Bushey, Hertfordshire WD23 2TY UK
Telephone: 01923 779580
Website: Watford & District Industrial History Society
- The Society aims to celebrate the great achievements of British Industry past and present as well as their pioneers, leading engineers, designers, inventors, and entrepreneurs.
Welwyn Archaeological Society
United Reformed Church
Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire AL8 6PS UK
Telephone: 01920 830798
Website: Welwyn Archaeological Society
Website #2: Welwyn Archaeological Society
- The Society was formed over forty years ago in response to the threat posed to our heritage by modern developments: building construction, pipelaying, road building, agricultural and mineral extraction. The Society carries out excavations, surveys and other research both indoors and out, and represents the interests of archaeology with local and national bodies.
Welwyn & District Local History Society
Website: Welwyn & District Local History Society
Website #2: Welwyn & District Local History Society
Website #3: World War I Website of Welwyn & District Local History Society
- The Welwyn and District History Society was formed to record, promote, and encourage the study of the area’s rich history.
Wigginton History Society
Wigginton Parish Church St Bartholomews
Tring, Hertfordshire HP23 6DZ UK
Telephone: 01442 822702
Website: Wigginton History Society