Henrico Parish, Henrico County, Virginia Genealogy
Guide to Henrico Parish, Henrico County ancestry, genealogy and family history, birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
Henrico Parish has served Henrico County, Virginia. In the early period, it was also known as Henricopolis Church. Between 1680 and 1714, it was also known as Varina Parish. Also known as St. John's Church. Located in Richmond.
Patrick Henry delivered his famous "Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death" speech at St. John's on the 23rd of March 1775.
- abt 1611
- Vestry book begins in 1730
Inscriptions of the graves at St. John's Church were published in Moore's 1904 history.
- Burton, Lewis W. Annals of Henrico Parish, Diocese of Virginia and Especially of St. John's Church, the Present Mother Church of the Parish, from 1611 to 1884. Richmond, VA, USA: Williams Printing Company, 1942. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- Moore, J. Staunton. The Annals and History of Henrico Parish, Diocese of Virginia: and St. John's P.E. Church. Richmond, Va., 1904; reprint, Baltimore: Genealogical Pub. Co., 1979. Available at FHL [2 copies]; digital versions at Ancestry ($); Internet Archive (1); Internet Archive (2); Internet Archive (3).
- Robinson, Morgan P. "Henrico Parish in the Diocese of Virginia and the Parishes Descended Therefrom," The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. 43, No. 1 (Jan., 1935), pp. 8-40. FHL Book 975.5 B2v; digital version at JSTOR ($).
The parish registers, which date from colonial times, are published in Moore's 1904 history.
The original Henrico Parish Vestry Book survives for the years 1730 to 1773. It has been published:
- Brock, R.A. The Vestry Book of Henrico Parish, Virginia, 1730-1773, From the Original Manuscript, with Notes and Appendix. Bowie, Md.: Heritage Books, 1991. Digital version at FamilySearch Books - free.
- The Church of Henricopolis, The Historical Marker Database
- St. John's Church Marker "Give me liberty or give me death!", The Historical Marker Database
- Saint John's Episcopal Church Marker, The Historical Marker Database
- Welcome to St. John's Church Marker, The Historical Marker Database
- Freddie Spradlin, "Parishes of Virginia," VAGenWeb, accessed 29 January 2011; Hening's Statutes at Large; Emily J. Salmon and Edward D.C. Campbell Jr., The Hornbook of Virginia History (Richmond: Library of Virginia, 1994).
- William Meade, Old Churches, Ministers and Families of Virginia, 2 vols. (Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott and Co., 1861). Digital versions at Internet Archive: Vol. I and Vol. II.
- Colonial Churches: A Series of Sketches of Churches in the Original Colony of Virginia (Richmond, Va.: Southern Churchman Co., 1907), 87-92.
- Review of History of Henrico Parish and Old St. John's Church, Richmond, in The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. 12, No. 2 (Oct. 1904):220-221. Digital version at JSTOR ($).