Hematite, Mining Camp, Colfax County, New Mexico Genealogy
Location: 6 miles southest of Red River. Located on west Moreno Creek near Red River Pass
about 3 miles up the gulch from Elizabethtown.
GPS: Latitude: 36.6536 N; Longitude: -105.3589 W.
Elevation: 9,836 feet (2,998 meters)
Map: Interactive Map.
Post Office: Established 1897, discontinued 1899.
Census Data: No enumeration on 1900 US Census.
Hematite was a short lived placer camp. Named for a form of iron ore. Rich ore veins discovered in the fall of 1895 were responsible for its birth. May 1896, found Hematite doing well, with a population of 200, a boarding house, a store, and the Athens Mining and Milling Company preparing to erect a mill. Many claims were staked, and placer gold was found, but apparently not enough to keep the town alive for very long. In a few years it became a ghost town. Not a trace remains today, although the creek retains its name Hematite Creek.
Family History Links:
1. Ghost Towns and Mining Camps of New Mexico, by James E. and Barbara Sherman. University of Oklahoma Press, Norman. 1974.
2. The Mines of New Mexico: Inexhaustible deposits of gold, silver, copper, lead and coal.1895. By the Burau of Immigration. pages 14-15. Google Books.