Help:Wiki University Wikitext--Tutorial
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Nesting Lists
- Broken Links
- Image Embedding
- Image Tooltips & Borders
- Image Links
- Images & Text; Embedding PDF
- Snipping Tool & Paint
- Inline Styling
- Changing Fonts
- Font Colors
- Font Bold-Italics
- Div Tag - Intro
- Width and Height
- Alignment - Horizontal
- Breadcrumb Trails
LESSON STRUCTURE[edit | edit source]
- This is a set of short lessons to teach you the fundamentals of Wikitext. Wikitext is the computer language of FamilySearch Wiki as well as all other Wikis.
- The lessons are designed to help you learn the language in small easy-to-digest bites.
- The exercise and/or questions at the end of each lesson are designed to help you learn how to apply the principles taught in the lessons. Please do not pass them up.
- The lessons will help you to assimilate the knowledge necessary for you to edit and/or add content to FamilySearch Wiki.
- The left sidebar will give you some idea of the items we will cover in these Wikitext lessons.
WHAT IS WIKITEXT?[edit | edit source]
- Wikitext is the underlying language of all Wikis, whether it be FamilySearch Wiki, Wikipedia or Wikimedia.
- However Wikitext has very limited capabilities.
- Basically, all it can do is put black letters on a white background. It is very limited in what it can do to make a page interesting to look at. For that we need Cascading Style Sheets (CSS).
CSS - CASCADING STYLE SHEETS[edit | edit source]
- These are series of codes which can add a little character to a page such as borders and background colors. CSS basically controls how a page will look to our patrons.
HTML - LANGUAGE OF THE INTERNET[edit | edit source]
- All internet sites including FamilySearch Wiki are based on the programming language called HTML, which stands for Hyper Text Markup Language. There is a separate course for HTML programming.
- Wikitext is actually a simplified version of HTML.
- HTML will give you more capabilities than Wikitext.
SANDBOX PAGE[edit | edit source]
- If you have not done so already, please create one or more sandbox pages where you can practice your Wikitext lessons.
- Review the instructions for Sandbox Creation.