Help:Wiki University Wikitext--Tutorial
From FamilySearch Wiki
- Nesting Lists
- Broken Links
- Images & PDF files
- Images (cont.)
- Image Links
- Images and Text
- Snipping Tool & Paint
- Inline Styling
- Changing Fonts
- Font Colors
- Font Bold-Italics
- Div Tag - Intro
- Width and Height
- Alignment - Horizontal
- Breadcrumb Trails
- This is a set of short lessons to teach you the fundamentals of Wikitext. Wikitext is the computer language of FamilySearch Wiki as well as all other Wikis.
- The lessons are designed to help you learn the language in small easy-to-digest bites.
- The exercise and/or questions at the end of each lesson are designed to help you learn how to apply the principles taught in the lessons. Please do not pass them up.
- The lessons will help you to assimilate the knowledge necessary for you to edit and/or add content to FamilySearch Wiki.
- The left sidebar will give you some idea of the items we will cover in these Wikitext lessons.
WHAT IS WIKITEXT?
- Wikitext is the underlying language of all Wikis, whether it be FamilySearch Wiki, Wikipedia or Wikimedia.
- However Wikitext has very limited capabilities.
- Basically, all it can do is put black letters on a white background. It is very limited in what it can do to make a page interesting to look at. For that we need CSS Cascading Style Sheets.
CSS - CASCADING STYLE SHEETS
- These are series of codes which can add a little character to a page such as borders and background colors. CSS basically controls how a page will look to our patrons.
HTML - LANGUAGE OF THE INTERNET
- All internet sites including FamilySearch Wiki are based on the programming language called HTML, which stands for Hyper Text Markup Language. There is a separate course for HTML programming.
- Wikitext is actually a simplified version of HTML.
- HTML will give you more capabilities than Wikitext.
- If you have not done so already, please create a sandbox page where you can practice your Wikitext lessons.
- To create a sandbox page for practicing enter this into the search box: "user:your user name/sandbox/name of page you want to practice your Wikitext"
- For example "User:johnsmith/sandbox/wikitext homework".
- After you have typed in the name you want for your sandbox practice page, hit the enter key or click search icon on left side of search box.
- A list will then appear and your entry will appear at the top of the list in red. The red just means that your sandbox page has not been created yet.
- Click on that "red link," and a blank edit box will appear with the name of the sandbox page you just created displayed at the top.
- As soon as you enter something in the edit box and save it, it will become a permanent page.
- This will be the place to save your homework or to refresh your memory when needed from time to time.