Help:Wiki University Wikitext--Breadcrumb Trails
- Nesting Lists
- Broken Links
- Images & PDF files
- Images (cont.)
- Image Links
- Images and Text
- Snipping Tool & Paint
- Inline Styling
- Changing Fonts
- Font Colors
- Font Bold-Italics
- Div Tag - Intro
- Width and Height
- Alignment - Horizontal
- Breadcrumb Trails
What are Breadcrumb Trails
The above is an example of a breadcrumb trail. You see them on every locality page.
- We use "breadcrumb trails" to get us back to the main article we left to get to the page we are now on. In this case we came from a country page, to a state page, then to a county page.
- If you decided that you were not on the right county page and wanted to go back to the list on the state page, all you have to do is click the state page link in the breadcrumb trail to get back to the state page with its list of county pages.
- You could even go back to the country page if you needed.
They usually appear at the top of the page just below the page title. Here is an example of the placement of a breadcrumb trail after the page title.
A breadcrumb trail is really nothing more than internal links strung together separated by an arrow. To ensure consistency throughout the Wiki, the breadcrumb code is set up as a template. We will learn about templates in Intermediate Wikitext.
Here is the wikitext coding for the above "breadcrumb trail" to be placed in an article:
- NOTICE all links are internal links. For each link, copy and paste the title of the article before the pipe, then include a title after the pipe you want to be seen by the patrons. Do not include any underscores between words of the name of the link.
- NOTICE link5 should always contain the title of the current page you are on.
Try these out
- You are probably familiar with the story of Hansel and Gretel. The children were taken by their evil step-mother and abandoned in the dark woods, but they left a trail of breadcrumbs so they could find the way back home. Unfortunately, birds came and ate the breadcrumbs and Hansel and Gretel were lost. However, the story ends happily and the children were united with their father.