Help:Wiki University HTML--Navboxes
- Nesting Lists
- Fonts - Changing
- Font Size
- Font Colors
- Font Bold-Italics
- Width and Height
- Tables - Borders
- Tables - Widths
- Tables - Captions
- Tables - Col Labels
- Tables - Cells
- Tables - Rows
- Tables - Placement
- Tables - Sorting
- Tables - Scrolling
- Tables - Col Only
- Tables - Col Spans
- Tables - Row Spans
- Infobox - Creating
- Infobox - Placing
- Infobox - If function
- Position - Relative
- Position - Absolute
WHAT IS A NAVBOX
- They are very much like sidebars, only they are usually spread across the bottom of the page. Here is an example from the Adair County, Missouri Genealogy page.
- You will notice on this county page that a sidebar is not used. The topic information is in the Navbox instead. This is fine if you think it is a better option than a sidebar.
- Basically a navbox is used for links that may not be of immediate interest like we see on a sidebar, but give options for other places to look.
- First section - items you would might find in a sidebar.
- Second section - internal links to pages for other counties in the state.
- Third section - internal links to pages of extinct county pages.
- Fourth section - internal links to pages outlining what is available in the major repositories in the state.
- Fifth section - internal links to pages discussing migration routes going through the state.
These are NOT required sections for a navbox. They can contain whatever subjects you like. This is just an example of one.
HOW TO CREATE A NAVBOX
- The navbox above is a table.
- First row is the title of the navbox. It is centered and spans the two columns that follow.
- First column is the title of the items in the adjacent cells.
- Second column is the links or whatever material is to be displayed.
- There are background colors in the cells.
Let's make one like the one above but use less material:
|Links to Missouri Genealogy - related articles|
|Topics||African Americans · American Indians · Archives and Libraries · Bible Records · Biography|
|Counties||Adair · Andrew · Atchison · Audrain · Barry · Barton|
Here is the coding:
All this wikitext and inline styling should be familiar to you except for some new templates we have introduced
SAVING THE NAVBOX
- This table is saved like a normal template.
- Please use the word "navbox" in the name you use to save the navbox.
PLACING THE NAVBOX
- It is placed just like any other template.
- If there are any parameters, they need to be included in the coding for the template.
- The above made up navbox would have the placement coding of:
TRY THESE OUT . . . .
- This is a template that puts the little dot separator between the items in this cell. One of many such "built in" templates in wikitext