Copying and Pasting into a Wiki Page
What is "Copy and Paste?"
- Copy and Paste is the ability to select and copy text from one location, and insert it into another location.
- It is possible to "Paste" text into the FamilySearch Research Wiki from text "Copied" in PDFs, Internet pages, and document files
- Remember, probably most of the formatting will be lost when pasting this Wiki.
- Special instructions are available if you want to copy and paste text from a spreadsheet, such as an Excel document.
- You can copy text by either using the mouse or the keyboard.
- To copy with your mouse, place the cursor to the left of the text you want to copy and then, by holding down the left key on your mouse, drag the cursor to the end of what you want to copy.
- To copy with the keyboard, place the cursor to the left of the text you want to copy, hold down the "Shift" key and then using the right pointing arrow on your keyboard, move the cursor until you get to the end of the material you want to copy.
- Next save the highlighted text to your "clipboard" in your computer by either hitting the CTR+C key or use the right key on the mouse and click "copy."
- Click edit for the Visual Editor or edit source for WikiText. These are found at the top of the article or on every heading of the article.
- The Edit Window should open. Click your mouse where you want to place your text.
- Next hit keys CTRL+V or use the right key on your mouse and click "paste."
- Your text should now appear in the Edit Window.
- Then click save.
Problems with pasting
- If the font is large on the page you are copying from, it may paste that way on a Wiki page.
- If you find this happening, first paste the material in "notepad" which comes with your operating system, whether Apple or Windows.
- Then copy and paste that into your Wiki page.
- The notepad will usually get rid of extraneous coding and give you pure text.
- Use this procedure when copying from a word processing program.
- In case you cannot find "notepad" on your computer, you can also use a free text editor called "Notepad++" which you can download off the internet. Notepad++ is a free program.
How to Paste into a Wiki Page using Wikitext
- Click on [Edit source] at the top of the page to access the entire page or [Edit source] next to the heading to access only the section under it.
- In the Wikitext edit box, go to the place where you want to paste the additional material and either hit keys CTRL+V or click right key of your mouse to paste.
- Click Save at the bottom of the page and don't forget to include a "Summary" of what the additional material was about.
- ↑ This is a much better text editor than Windows Notepad in any case