To request editing rights on the Wiki, click here.

Harrow on the Hill, Middlesex Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Harrow on the Hill

Guide to Harrow on the Hill, Middlesex ancestry, family history, and genealogy: Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.

Here is a List of District Churches and Chapels Within the Civil Parish Boundaries of St Mary Harrow-on-the-Hill.

Harrow on the Hill, Middlesex
Type Ancient Parish
Civil Jurisdictions
Hundred Gore
County Middlesex
Poor Law Union Hendon
Registration District Hendon
Records begin
Parish registers: 1558
Bishop's Transcripts: 1671; 1702-03; 1799; 1801
Ecclesiastical Jurisdictions
Rural Deanery Not created until 1858
Diocese London
Province Canterbury
Legal Jurisdictions
Probate Court Court of the Peculiar Jurisdiction of the Archbishop of Canterbury in the Deaneries of the Arches, Croydon and Shoreham
Location of Archive
Middlesex Record Office

Parish History[edit | edit source]

'HARROW-ON-THE-HILL (St. Mary), a parish, and formerly a market-town, in the union of Hendon, hundred of Gore, county of Middlesex, 9 miles (N. W. by W.) from London; containing, with the hamlets of Alperton, Greenhill, Kenton, Preston, Roxeth, Sudbury, and Wembley, 4627 inhabitants, of whom 1031 are in the hamlet of Harrow-Weald. This place is chiefly distinguished on account of its Free Grammar School, instituted in the reign of Elizabeth, in 1571, and which ranks among the most celebrated classical schools in England. The founder was John Lyon, a native of the neighbouring hamlet of Preston, who, in 1590, drew up statutes for the school, in which, among various regulations, he directed that the pupils should be instructed in archery; and it was customary, until about the middle of the last century, for the scholars to hold a festival on the 4th of August, when they shot at a mark for a silver arrow. This usage having been abolished, public speeches are now delivered on the first Wednesdays in June and July. The school is free for all boys belonging to the parish of Harrow, but very few avail themselves of the privilege: the number of boys not on the foundation is usually between two and three hundred, and they enjoy all the privileges attached to the institution.

'Two exhibitioners from the school are admitted at Cambridge, and two at Oxford, with pensions allotted by the founder, who directed that £20 per annum should be divided among them, but they now receive £20 per annum each for eight years. The governors not long since instituted two annual scholarships, with pensions of £52. 10., for four years at either of the universities; and certain additional scholarships were lately founded by the liberality of Joseph Neeld, Esq., M.P., one of the governors. There are also four exhibitions, of £50 a year each, to Caius College, Cambridge; for these the school is indebted to the late J. Sayer, Esq. Several prizes, likewise, have been instituted: a gold medal is proposed yearly by Sir Robert Peel, one of the distinguished men whom the school has produced; and a prize, the proceeds of the scholarship which he won at Harrow, has been founded by A. J. Beresford Hope, Esq., son of Viscountess Beresford. R. Gregory, Esq., F.R.S., has bequeathed to the library 140 volumes of the Roman classics, an annual gold medal, value 10 guineas, and £100 per annum for ever for the foundation of an exhibition to either of the universities, for a boy educated in the school. The rents of the estates given for the support of the institution by John Lyon, amounted, in 1795, to £669 per annum, which were expended by the governors in paying salaries and exhibitions, educating poor children, relieving decayed housekeepers, repairing roads, &c., agreeably to the directions of the donor; at present the income is much more considerable, part of the estates having been let on building leases. The house formerly occupied by the head master was destroyed by fire in October, 1838, and a new one has been erected, after a design by Mr. Decimus Burton. The school building was repaired and much enlarged by munificent donations of former alumni of Harrow, during the mastership of the Rev. Chancellor Butler, D.D.; the chapel for the use of the school, erected by the same means, was consecrated by the Archbishop of Canterbury, on the 24th of September, 1838.

'The town forms a neat street, and occupies a lofty hill, commanding fine views. A charter was granted by Henry III. for a market on Monday, and an annual fair; the former has been discontinued, but a fair is still held on the first Monday in August. The parish comprises 9604a. 2r. 32p.: the soil is fertile, and nearly three-fourths of the land are in pasture; the surrounding scenery, which is richly diversified, abounds with interesting objects. The London and Birmingham railway passes through the parish, and rather more than a mile to the north of the church is a station on the line. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £33. 4. 2.; net income, £627; patron, Lord Northwick; appropriators, the Dean and Canons of Christ-Church, Oxford. The tithes were commuted for land and cornrents in 1803. The church is a spacious structure, with a tower and lofty spire at the west end: the pillars between the nave and the aisles, and a part of the tower, where is a curious Norman doorway, probably formed portions of a church recorded to have been founded by Lanfranc, Archbishop of Canterbury, in the reign of William I.; but the remainder of the edifice appears to have been built in the latter part of the 14th century. In this church was interred the celebrated poet and physician, Sir Samuel Garth. There is a district chapel at Harrow-Weald, erected by subscription, and in the Vicar's gift; and at Wembley is a chapel dedicated to St. John, in the patronage of the Misses Copland. The Baptists and Wesleyans have places of worship; and national schools are supported. At the extremity of the parish, towards Stanmore, was a priory called Benethly or Bentley, the site of which forms part of the estate of the Marquess of Abercorn, who has near it a splendid and richly furnished mansion, styled Bentley Priory. The learned Dr. Parr was born at Harrow, where his father practised as an apothecary; and the Hon. W. R. Spencer, an accomplished scholar, who died in 1834, was interred in the church.'[1]

Resources[edit | edit source]

Civil Registration[edit | edit source]

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Church records[edit | edit source]

Harrow on the Hill parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:

FS PRs = England, Middlesex, Westminster, Parish Registers, 1538-1912 (FamilySearch) - free
FS = FamilySearch - free
FMP = Middlesex Baptisms (FindMyPast) - ($)
FMP London = Greater London Marriage and Burial Indexes (FindMyPast) - ($)
ANC 1 = London, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812 (Ancestry) - ($)
ANC 2 = London, England, Church of England Records (Ancestry) - ($)
ANC Marr = London and Surrey, England, Marriage Bonds and Allegations, 1597-1921 (Ancestry) - ($)
BOYD = England, Boyd's Marriage Indexes, 1538-1850 (FindMyPast) - free
IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free[2]
FS Catalog PRs = FamilySearch Catalog Parish registers - free
FS Catalog BTs = FamilySearch Catalog Bishop's transcripts - free
Harrow on the Hill Online Parish Records
Indexes Images Indexes Images Indexes Images
FS PRs 1538-1912
FS 1538-1975
FMP 1543-1876

FMP London

ANC 1 1538-1812
ANC 2 1813-1917
ANC Marr





FS Catalog PRs

FS Catalog BTs

To find the names of the neighboring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851 Map. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.

Records are also available at the London Metropolitan Archives.

Census and Inhabitants Lists[edit | edit source]

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.

1523 Lay Subsidy[edit | edit source]
  • Grazebrook, George. 'The Inhabitants of "Harrowe super montem" in 1523,' Middlesex & Hertfordshire Notes and Queries, Vol. 2 (1896):108-115. Digital version at Internet Archive - free.
1666 Hearth Tax[edit | edit source]

Probate records[edit | edit source]

Court of the Deanery of the Arches of London, Croydon, and Shoreham probate records are available online at FamilySearch for free.

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Middlesex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Cemetery[edit | edit source]

Harrow Churchyard database at Find A Grave. (145+ entries)

Manorial Records[edit | edit source]

Records survive for three manors in Harrow Parish: Pinner Manor (c1285), Roxeth Manor (1529-1610) and Uxendon Manor (1609). The Manorial Documents Register will help you locate these records.

Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]

Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.

Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Websites[edit | edit source]

Harrow on the Hill on GENUKI

References[edit | edit source]

  1. Samuel Lewis, ed. A Topographical Dictionary of England 416-421. (London: S. Lewis and Co., 1848), Online here, (accessed: 27 April 2010).