Harris County, Georgia Genealogy
Guide to Harris County, Georgia ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Harris County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
|Founded||December 14, 1827|
|Address|| Harris County Courthouse|
PO Box 528
Hamilton, GA 31811-0528
Harris County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Genealogy Resources
- 5.1 Research Guides
- 5.2 African Americans
- 5.3 Bible Records
- 5.4 Cemeteries
- 5.5 Census
- 5.6 Church Records
- 5.7 Court
- 5.8 Genealogy
- 5.9 Land and Property
- 5.10 Local Histories
- 5.11 Maps
- 5.12 Military
- 5.13 Naturalization
- 5.14 Newspapers
- 5.15 Occupations
- 5.16 Probate Records
- 5.17 Taxation
- 5.18 Vital Records
- 6 Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Harris County, Georgia Record Dates
Harris County Courthouse
PO Box 528
Hamilton, GA 31811-0528
Probate Court has marriage and probate records. Clerk Superior Court has land records from 1827, divorce and court records from 1927; County Health Department has birth and death records.
Clerk of Superior Court
102 N. College St.
P.O. Box 528
Hamilton, GA 31811
Telephone: (706) 628-4944
Fax: (706) 628-7039
Probate Court of Harris County
P.O. Box 569
Hamilton, GA 31811
Work Phone: 706-628-5038
For animated maps illustrating Georgia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Georgia County Boundary Maps" (1758-1932) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1865 A fire at the courthouse was quickly extinguished.
Error: Image is invalid or non-existent.
The following web site may have additional information on Harris County cemeteries.
- Interment.net Georgia cemetery records
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Harris County, Georgia Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
- 1861-1865 - Georgia Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Georgia Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
Regiments. Service men in Harris County, Georgia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Harris County, Georgia Genealogy:
- - 17th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company H
- - 20th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company E
- - 31st Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company H
- - 35th Battalion, Georgia (Confederate), Company H
- - 35th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company K
- - 46th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company E
- - 54th Regiment, Georgia Infantry
- - Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project
- Barfield, Louise Calhoun. 1961. History of Harris County, Georgia, 1827-1961. Columbus? Georgia: s.n. (67th Regiment page 278, 288; 3rd Cavalry page 296; 2nd Brigade Company E; Chapter XIII list Regiment and Brigade) 975.8466 H2b digital version
- Georgia. Superior Court (Harris County). 1963. Confederate roster, 1861-1865. Salt Lake City, Utah: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah. 327558 item 4
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Harris County, Georgia Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- FamilySearch Catalog. Do a Place search for Harris County, Georgia Genealogy to find these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
Online Probate Records
- 1742–1992 Georgia Wills and Probate Records 1742-1992 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1742–1990 Georgia Probate Records 1742-1990 at FamilySearch.org images
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
- 1835-1849 - Wills, Book 1, 1835-1849 (abstracts) Georgia Pioneers $
- 1840-1875 - Wills, Book 2, 1850-1875 (digital images). See names of Testators. Georgia Pioneers $
- 1850-1875 - Index to Will Book 1, 1850-1875 Georgia Pioneers $
- 1873-1932 - Index to Will Book 2, 1873-1932 Georgia Pioneers $
- 1837-1844 - Index to Misc. Estates, Book B, 1837-1844 Georgia Pioneers $
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and all slaves up to age 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online.
- 1560 - 1993 - Georgia, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1699 - 1944 - Georgia Marriages 1699-1944 at Ancestry.com— index $
- 1754 - 1960 - Georgia Church Marriages, 1754-1960 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1785 - 1950 - Georgia County Marriages 1785-1950 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1787 - 1962 - Georgia, Church Marriages, 1787-1962 at FamilySearch — index
- 1808 - 1967 - Georgia Marriages 1808-1967 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1828 - 1978 - Georgia Marriage Records from Select Counties 1828-1978 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1828 - 1860 - Index to Harris County Marriages 1828-1860 Georgia Pioneers $
- 1828 - 1860 - Harris County Marriage Index 1828-1860. Batch M713031 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1859 - 1872 - Index to Harris County Marriages 1859-1872 Georgia Pioneers $
- 1859 - 1883 - Harris County Marriage Index 1859-1883. Batch M713032 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1877 - 1892 - Harris County Marriage Index 1877-1892. Batch M713033 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1890 - 1895 - Harris County Marriage Index 1890-1895. Batch M713035 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1893 - 1895 - Harris County Marriage Index 1893-1895. Batch M713034 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1869-70, 1879-80 - Harris County, Georgia Genealogy Mortality Schedules at Ancestry ($).
- 1879 - 80 - Hamilton Mortality Schedules at Ancestry ($).
- 1914 - 1927 - Georgia Deaths 1914-1927 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1919 - 1998 - Georgia Deaths 1919-1998 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1928 - 1942 - Georgia Deaths 1928-1939 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1933 - 1998 - Georgia Death Index 1933-1998 at FamilySearch.org — index
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- USGenWeb Harris County, Georgia project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- Harris County, GA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Georgia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Harris County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers Georgia Pioneers
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Harris County, Georgia. Page 156 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Paul K. Graham, Georgia Courthouse Disasters (Decatur, Georgia: Genealogy Co., 2013), 36-37. At various libraries (WorldCat).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/57/Igigeorgiael.pdf.