Harney County, Oregon Genealogy
Guide to Harney County, Oregon ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Harney County, Oregon|
Location in the state of Oregon
Location of Oregon in the U.S.
|Founded||February 23, 1889|
|Named for: Gen. William Shelby Harney|
- 1 County Information
- 2 Harney County, Oregon Record Dates
- 3 County Courthouse
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Archives and Libraries
- 5.2 Cemeteries
- 5.3 Census
- 5.4 Church History and Records
- 5.5 Court Records
- 5.6 Gazetteers
- 5.7 History
- 5.8 Land and Property
- 5.9 Maps
- 5.10 Military History and Records
- 5.11 Newspapers
- 5.12 Probate Records
- 5.13 Rivers and Waterways
- 5.14 Taxation
- 5.15 Vital Records
- 6 Societies, Libraries, Museums
- 7 Websites
- 8 Harney County Oregon Genealogy References
The County was named for William S. Harney, a military officer of the period, who was involved in the Pig War and popular in the Pacific Northwest. The County is located in the central area of the state.
Harney County, Oregon Record Dates
Harney County Courthouse
450 North Buena Vista Avenue
Burns, Or 97720
County Clerk has marriage records from 1911,
land and probate records from 1889, military
records from 1943 and naturalization records.
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and court records. 
County Records Inventory listing the records held at the Harney County Court House as of July 2008.
Harney County Court is structured differently. Check the County Records Inventory link for addresses for location of records (left column).
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Named for Brig. Gen. William S. Harney of U.S. Army, who was involved in "Pig War" and popular in the Pacific Northwest.
No parts were taken to create any county.
For animated maps illustrating Oregon County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Oregon County Boundary Maps" (1843-1975) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Places / Localities
The following are locations in the county:
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit HomeTown Locator
|Native American communities|
Defunct Post Offices
- Alberson: For more than a score of years Alberson was a post office on the extreme east edge of Harney County, in the locality of T30S, R36E. As with similar offices,it was moved around a little. The office was established Sept. 20, 1907 with William E. Alberson first of nine postmasters. The office was named in honor of the official, who was an early settler in the vicinity of Juniper Lake. The office was discontinued Sept. 29, 1930. FamilySearch Catalog
Information about localities, too small or too brief to describe in separate pages. Exception to this are Post Offices. > Trivia Tidbits
Archives and Libraries
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Oregon Cemeteries for more information.|
- 1870, part of Grant County. Entire area that later formed Harney County was not enumerated.
- 1880, part of Grant County. Entire area that later formed Harney County was not enumerated.
Church History and Records
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Hines, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Land and Property
Military History and Records
- 1861-1865 - Oregon, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
World War I
- 1921-1938 - Oregon, World War I, Veteran State Aid Applications, 1921-1938 at FamilySearch — index and images
[Online Historical Newspapers] - identifies historical archived and digitized newspapers available online on both free and pay-to-access websites.
Rivers and Waterways
Details about the rivers and waterways where farms and settlements are often found along them. >> Rivers and Waterways
Many early marriages are listed on the Western States Marriage Index.
See also How to order Oregon Vital Records, order electronically online or download an application for Oregon Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Delayed Birth Certificates
- 1826-1975 - Oregon, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- Extractions of early marriages are listed on the Western States Marriage Index
- Marriage Index 1885-1896 Actually is a book of affiants reporting the marriages. Historical Records Collection
Societies, Libraries, Museums
Harney County Historical Society
18 West D St
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Burns Oregon Family History Center 600 N Saginaw Ave Hines OR 97720
- Harney County, OR History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Oregon Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Oregon Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- The Harney County GenWeb Project, part of The ORGenWeb Project
- The USGenWeb Archives Project
- The USGenWeb Archives Project (backup site)
Harney County Oregon Genealogy References
- Wikipedia contributors, "Harney, Oregon" in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harney_County,_Oregon accessed 27 Nov 2018
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Harney County, Oregon . Page 572-574 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 563-564.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Harney County, Oregon page 572, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- WorldCat 50140092 ▲ FHL Collection Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed.] (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002)
- Wikipedia contributors, "Harney County, Oregon," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harney_County,_Oregon, accessed 10 November 2018.