Harnett County, North Carolina Genealogy
Guide to Harnett County, North Carolina ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Harnett County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
|Founded||February 7, 1855|
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Cemeteries
- 5.2 Census
- 5.3 Church Records
- 5.4 Court
- 5.5 Land
- 5.6 Local Histories
- 5.7 Maps
- 5.8 Military
- 5.9 Newspapers
- 5.10 Probate
- 5.11 Taxation
- 5.12 Vital Records
- 5.13 Yearbooks
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Harnett County, Record Dates
Harnett County Courthouse
729 S Main Street P O Box 279
Lillington, NC 27546
Register of deeds has birth, marriage and land land rec
Clerk Superior Court has divorce, probate and court records from 1920
records from 1855-1920 were destroyed in a fire
Register of Deeds
305 W. Cornelius Harnett Blvd, Set 200
Lillington, NC 27546
Clerk Superior Court
301 W Cornelius Harnett
Lillington, NC 27546
Work Phone: (910) 814-4646
For animated maps illustrating North Carolina county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation North Carolina County Boundary Maps" (1664-1965) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1892, 1894--Courthouse fires destroyed court records and many of the land records.
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|North Carolina Cemeteries|
|See North Carolina Cemeteries for more information.|
For tips on accessing Harnett County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
- 1779 - 1782 - North Carolina Revolutionary Pay Vouchers 1779-1782 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 - North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 - North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861 - 1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1885 - 1953 - North Carolina, Confederate Soldiers and Widows Pension Applications, 1885-1953 at FamilySearch — images
Regiments. Service men in Harnett County, North Carolina Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Harnett County, North Carolina Genealogy:
- - 1st Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
- - 10th Battalion, North Carolina Heavy Artillery, Company B
- - 15th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry, formerly the 5th Volunteers, Company F
- - 1st Regiment, North Carolina Infantry, Company C
- - 41st Regiment Volunteers - 3rd Cavalry, Company D
- - 7th Battalion, North Carolina Junior Reserves, Company A
- - 8th Regiment, North Carolina Senior Reserves, Captain Isaac William's Company
- - 8th Regiment, North Carolina Senior Reserves, Captain Neill McNeill's Company
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battle was fought in Harnett County:
- March 16, 1865 = Averasborough, also known as Taylor’s Hole Creek, Smithville, Smiths Ferry, or Black River
- Map showing Civil War battles in North Carolina.
World War I
- 1917 - 1919 - North Carolina, World War I Service Cards, 1917-1919 at FamilySearch — index and images
World War II
- 1940 - 1948 - North Carolina, Discharge and Statement of Service Records, 1940-1948 at FamilySearch — index and images
Online Probate Records
- 1660 - 1790 - North Carolina Will Abstracts 1660-1790 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1663 - 1979 - North Carolina Estate Files, 1663-1979 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1665 - 1998 - North Carolina Wills and Probate Records 1665-1998 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1735 - 1970 - North Carolina Probate Records 1735-1970 at FamilySearch.org — images
- 1760 - 1800 - North Carolina Will Abstracts 1760-1800 at Ancestry.com — index and images
- Search Birth, Marriage & Death certificates at the Harnett County Register of Deeds website. Uncertified copies can be ordered for a fee (see website for details).
- 1800 - 2000 - North Carolina Birth Index 1800-2000 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1866 - 1964 - North Carolina Births and Christenings 1866-1964 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1898 - 1994 - North Carolina Deaths and Burials, 1898-1994 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1906 - 1930 - North Carolina Deaths 1906-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1908 - 2004 - North Carolina Death Indexes 1908-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1909 - 1975 - North Carolina Death Certificates 1909-1975 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1931 - 1994 - North Carolina Deaths 1931-1994 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1741 - 2004 - North Carolina, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1741 - 2004 - North Carolina Marriage Index 1741-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1759 - 1979 - North Carolina Marriages 1759-1979 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1762 - 1979 - North Carolina, County Marriages, 1762-1979 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1763 - 1868 - North Carolina, Civil Marriages, 1763-1868 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1892 - 1967 - Harnett County Marriage Index 1892-1967 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- Campbell University: 1912-2009
- Harnett county students at North Carolina colleges - a list from the NCGenWeb Yearbook Index
Societies and Libraries
Harnett County Genealogical Society
PO Box 219
Buies Creek NC 27506-0219
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Harnett County, NC History, Records, Facts and Genealogy (Genealogy Inc)
- NCGenWeb: Harnett County - part of the USGenWeb Project
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Harnett County, North Carolina. Page 509 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- "Barbecue Church," North Carolina Highway Historical Marker Program, http://www.ncmarkers.com, accessed 22 October 2012.
- Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/9/91/Iginorthcarolinag.pdf.