Hardee County, Florida Genealogy
Guide to Hardee County, Florida ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Hardee County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Location of Florida in the U.S.
|Founded||April 23, 1921|
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 African American
- 5.2 Cemeteries
- 5.3 Census
- 5.4 Church
- 5.5 Court
- 5.6 Land
- 5.7 Local Histories
- 5.8 Maps
- 5.9 Military
- 5.10 Newspapers
- 5.11 Probate
- 5.12 Taxation
- 5.13 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Hardee County, Florida Record Dates
Hardee County Courthouse
412 W Orange Street
Wauchula, FL 33873
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage, death, divorce, court and land records from 1921. 
The county was named for Cary A. Hardee, Governor of Florida from 1921 to 1925. The County Seat is Wauchula and the county was created April 23, 1921. The County is located in the Southwest area of the state.
For animated maps illustrating Florida county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Florida County Boundary Maps" (1821-1997) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
Error: Image is invalid or non-existent.
The following web site may have additional information on Hardee County cemeteries.
- Interment.net Florida cemetery records
For tips on accessing Hardee County, Florida Genealogy census records online, see: Florida Census.
- 1783 Spanish Census USGenWeb
- 1821 Census/Tax List Index USGenWeb
- 1823 Census/Tax List Index USGenWeb
- 1880 Census African Born Blacks and Mulattos USGenWeb
- Federal Census Information from National Archives USGenWeb
- State Census Information from Florida State Archives USGenWeb
- Census of Pensioners Revolutionary Military Service USGenWeb
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Florida denominations, view the Florida Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Florida Land and Property for additional information about early Florida land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Hardee County, Florida Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Florida Local Histories.
- 1821-1997 Maps of Florida
- 1870 Gray's Atlas Panhandle Portion of StateUSGenWeb
- 1882 Rand McNally Panhandle Portion of StateUSGenWeb
- Exploring Florida, FCIT Maps University of South Florida
- Hardee County Military Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Hardee County Military Information (FLGenWeb Project, Inc.)
- Florida State Military Files USGenWeb
- Florida state pension records from various wars Pension Transcriptions USGenWeb
- 1861-1865 - Florida Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Florida Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1885-1955 - Florida Confederate Veterans and Widows Pension Applications, 1885-1955 at FamilySearch — images only
World War I
- Hardee County World War I Civilian Draft Registration by Surname - Scroll down to WWI. (USGenWeb Archives)
World War II
- Hardee County World War II Army Enlistees by Surname - Scroll down to WWII. (USGenWeb Archvies)
- Hardee County World War II Honor List of Dead and Missing Army and Army Air Forces Personnel (Genealogy Trails)
- Hardee County Korean War Casualties (Genealogy Trails)
- Florida Casualties in the Korean Conflict distantcousin.com
- Florida Casualties in the Vietnam War distantcousin.com
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Hardee County, Florida Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Early Florida Newspapers at the Florida State Library USGenWeb
Probate records are held by the Hardee County, Florida Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Hardee County, Florida Genealogy Courthouse. See the wiki page Florida Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Online Probate Records
- 1784 – 1990 FamilySearch Florida Probate Records 1784-1990
- 1810 – 1974 Ancestry.com $ Florida Wills and Probate Records 1810-1974
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Florida Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Florida Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online. See also How to order Florida Vital Records
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Florida.
- 1877 - 1939 - Florida, Deaths, 1877-1939 at FamilySearch — index
- 1900 - 1921 - Florida, Deaths and Burials, 1900-1921 at FamilySearch — index
- 1877 - 1998 - Florida, Death Index, 1877-1998 at FamilySearch — index
- 1802 - 1998 - Florida, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1837 - 1974 - Florida, Marriages, 1837-1974 at FamilySearch — index
- 1830 - 1993 - Florida, Marriages, 1830-1993 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1830 - 1957 - Florida, County Marriages, 1830-1957 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1822 - 1875 and 1927 - 2001 - Florida, Marriage Index, 1822-1875 and 1927-2001 at FamilySearch — index
- Florida State Archives
Societies and Libraries
- Random Acts of Kindness List of Florida Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical Genealogical Societies
- FamilySearch Find a Family History Center
- Florida Historical Society
- Florida State Genealogical Society
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Hardee County, Florida FLGenWeb
- Hardee County, FL History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Florida Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Florida Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Hardee County FLGenWeb
- State of Florida
- Hardee County, USGenWeb Archives
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Hardee County, Florida Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Hardee County, FLGenWeb Project, Inc.
- Hardee County, Florida Genealogy Trails
- Hardee County FL Genealogy (LDS Genealogy)
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 123-139. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Hardee County, Florida Page 134 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Hardee County," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardee_County,_Florida 04/24/2017.