Hampshire, England Genealogy
|Hampshire Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Guide to Hampshire ancestry, family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and military records.
County Information[edit | edit source]
Hampshire, also known as Southamptonshire, is principally a maritime and agricultural county located on the south coast of England. The Isle of Wight was originally part of Hampshire but is now a county in it's own right. In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Hampshire like this:
"Hampshire, Hants, or Southampton, maritime co. (including the Isle of Wight), in S. of England; bounded N. by Berks, E. by Surrey and Sussex, S. by the English Channel, and W. by Wilts and Dorset; greatest length (exclusive of the Isle of Wight), N. to S., 46 miles; greatest breadth, E. to W., 46 miles; 1,037,764 ac., pop. 593,470. (The figures of ac. and pop. include the Isle of Wight.) Hampshire is undulating, finely wooded, and fruitful. Its coast line is very irregular. . . ."
Parishes[edit | edit source]
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
Use an interactive map to find jurisdictions for each parish in Hampshire.
Civil Registration Districts[edit | edit source]
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Hampshire Online Parish Clerks
- RootsChat Hampshire: Isle of Wight Resources
- Professional Genealogists who specialize in Southeast England Research helps you compare the expertise, credentials, and rates of professional researchers who can help you access these records.
- 1538-1980 - England, Hampshire Parish Registers, 1538-1980 at FamilySearch — index
- 1930 - England and Wales National Register, 1939 at FamilySearch — index
|English Channel||Isle of Wight