Hall County, Nebraska Genealogy
Guide to Hall County, Nebraska ancestry, genealogy and family history, birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- 1 County Information
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Bible Records
- 2.2 Biographies
- 2.3 Business, Commerce, and Occupations
- 2.4 Cemeteries
- 2.5 Census Records
- 2.6 Church Records
- 2.7 Court Records
- 2.8 Directories
- 2.9 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.10 Ethnic, Political, and Religious Groups
- 2.11 Funeral Homes
- 2.12 Genealogies
- 2.13 Guardianship
- 2.14 Land and Property Records
- 2.15 Local Histories
- 2.16 Maps and Gazetteers
- 2.17 Migration
- 2.18 Military Records
- 2.19 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.20 Newspapers
- 2.21 Obituaries
- 2.22 Other Records
- 2.23 Periodicals
- 2.24 Probate Records
- 2.25 School Records
- 2.26 Tax Records
- 2.27 Vital Records
- 3 Research Facilities
- 4 Societies
- 5 Websites
- 6 Research Guides
- 7 References
Hall County was organized in 1859. It is located in the sixth tier of counties west of the Missouri River..  The county was named after Augustus Hall, an early judge of this territory. Its county seat is Grand Island.
Hall County Courthouse
111 W. 1st Street
Grand Island, NE 68801
Hall County Website
County Clerk has marriage records from 1869.
County Judge has probate records.
Clerk District Court has divorce and court records.
Register has land records. 
Hall County, Nebraska Record Dates
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit Hometown Locator. The following are the most historically and genealogically relevant populated places in this county:
Local histories are available for Hall County, Nebraska Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Nebraska Local Histories.
- Biographical and Historical memoirs of Adams, Clay, Hall and Hamilton Counties, Nebraska. Comprising a Condensed History of the State, a number of Biographies of Distinguished Citizens of the same, a Brief Descriptive History of each of the Counties mentioned, and numerous Biographical Sketches of the Citizens of such Counties
- History of Hall County, Nebraska: A Narrative of the Past with Special Emphasis Upon the Pioneer Period of the County's History, and Chronological Presentation of its Social, Commercial, Educational, Religious, and Civic Development from the Early Days to the Present Time, and Special Analysis of its Military and Civil Participation in the Late World War - The book includes several biographical sketches of Hall's citizens.
Business, Commerce, and Occupations
For tips on accessing Hall County, Nebraska Genealogy census records online, see: Nebraska Census.
Federal Censuses were taken for Nebraska starting in 1860. For links to Federal census indexes, see Nebraska Census.
State Census Records
- 1854 - 1870 - Nebraska, Compiled Census Index, 1854-1870 at Ancestry.com - index ($)
- 1860 - 1885 - Nebraska State Census Collection 1860-1885 at Ancestry.com - index and images ($)
- 1885 - Nebraska State Census 1885 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1885 - Nebraska State Census 1885 at Ancestry.com - index and images ($)
Church records vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Nebraska denominations, view the Nebraska Church Records wiki page.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Grand IslandRecord of Members 1929-1941 at family History Library
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, and Religious Groups
Land and Property Records
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Nebraska Land and Property for additional information about early Nebraska land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
- Hall County Register of Deeds - By using the MapSifter or Instrument Search you may search for property ownership information.
- Land Patent Search - index to federal patents and homesteads on the Bureau of Land Management website, some images available
- 1796 - 1907 - U.S. General Land Office Records, 1796-1907 at Ancestry - index, info taken from Bureau of Land Management website
- 1863 - 1908 - U.S. Homestead Records 1863-1908 at Ancestry.com - ($), index and images
For more information see Nebraska Land and Property
- Biographical and historical memoirs of Adams, Clay, Hall and Hamilton counties, Nebraska. 1890. Chicago, Illinois: Goodspeed Pub. Co. Available online at:
- History of Hall County, Nebraska. Buechler, August F., Barr, R J (Robert J.), Stough, Dale P. 1920. Lincoln, Neb.: Western Publishing and Engraving Co. Available online at:
- History of the State of Nebraska. Cutler, William. 1882. Chicago, IL.: The Western Historical Company, A. T. Andreas, Proprietor. Available online at:
Maps and Gazetteers
- Hall County Historical Maps and Atlases - Contains historical maps of Hall County and its cities from 1885, 1890, and 1904 as well as early maps of Grand Island and Nebraska. The historical maps include the many of the land owner's names.
- Hall County GIS Interactive Map
- Nebraska Gazetteer - database for all known places found in 1890 and 1911 Nebraska gazetteers
- Interactive Formation Boundary Map of Nebraska - shows boundary changes for Nebraska Counties
Early migration routes to and from Hall County for European and African American settlers included:
Grand Island railroad history - The first Transcontinentan Railroad reached the present site of Grand Island, Nebraska in July of 1866. Railroads are still important to the town.
- FHL 585121: Hall County, Nebraska : Civil War, Indian wars, Spanish American War, World War I. [n.d.: n.p] 1925. this is p. 228-241 of an unknown larger work. It lists names, addresses, units, and staates. It is divided by war. (FHL book 978.241 M2r).
- 1775 - 1783 - United States Rosters of Revolutionary War Soldiers and Sailors, 1775-1783 at FamilySearch - images only
- For more nationwide Revolutionary War databases, see US Military Online Genealogy Records.
- 1861 - 1865 - Nebraska Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861 - 1948 - Nebraska, Grand Army of the Republic, Burial Records, 1861-1948 at FamilySearch — index
- 1891 - Nebraska Resident Military Roster on June 1, 1891 at Ancestry.com - ($), Roster of Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines of the War of 1812, the Mexico War, and the War of the Rebellion, residing in Nebraska June 1, 1891
- 1893 - Roster of Nebraska Veterans - list of veterans in 1893
- For more nationwide Civil War databases, see US Military Online Genealogy Records.
World War I
- 1917 - 1918 - World War I Drafts 1917-1918 - index only
- For more nationwide World War I databases, see US Military Online Genealogy Records.
Naturalization and Citizenship
For information on Nebraska newspapers, see Nebraska Newspapers. Nebraska Newspapers Online
- Nebraska Newspapers - contains images of newspapers throughout Nebraska
- GenealogyBank - ($), contains images of Nebraska newspapers
- Newspaper Archive - ($), contains images of Nebraska newspapers
- Chronicling America - contains images of some Nebraska newspapers; searching tips
- Elephind - Free; search engine that retrieves newspaper images from other free newspaper websites
Nebraska Newspaper Catalogs
- Nebraska State Historical Society - catalog of known Nebraska newspapers; lists repositories that have the newspapers
- U.S. Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present on Chronicling America - contains a list of all known newspapers and the dates they cover; once you locate a newspaper name, contact the local library to see if they have copies of the newspaper
- 1870 - 1990 — Nebraska Prisoner Records 1870-1990 — index only
In most counties in Nebraska, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Nebraska - Hall - Probate records.
Online Probate Records
Nebraska tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred.
- 1855 - 1995 — Nebraska Marriages, 1855-1995 at FamilySearch — index only
- 1856 - 1898 — Nebraska Marriages 1856-1898 at Ancestry.com ($), index only
- Hall County, Nebraska Marriage Indexes
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes.
- Hall County Historical Society
P.O. Box 1683
Grand Island, NE 68802
- Cairo Roots Historical and Genealogical Society
Cairo Roots c/o Mrs. Delmar Perkins
Rt. 1, Box 42
Cairo, NE 68804
- Prairie Pioneer Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 1122
Grand Island, NE 68802
- Hall County Historical Society
- FamilySearch Catalog - The FamilySearch catalog contains descriptions and access information for all genealogical materials (including books, online materials, microfilm, microfiche, and publications) in their collection. Use Historical Records to search for specific individuals in genealogical records
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Nebraska.At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- http://genealogytrails.com/neb/hall/ accessed 09/29/2016
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hall_County,_Nebraska accessed 09/29/2016
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Hall County, Nebraska. Page 428-435 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 417-420.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Hall County, Nebraska," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hall_County,_Nebraska, accessed 30 January 2019.
- Jim Tompkins, "The Oregon Trail 1841-1848 Map I" in Oregon Trail Landmarks at http://www.oregonpioneers.com/OTMap1.jpg (accessed 18 July 2011).
- "Oregon California Trails Association" at http://octatrails.micromaps.com/ (accessed 18 July 2011).
- "The Pioneer Story: The Mormon Pioneer Trail" in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints at http://lds.org/gospellibrary/pioneer/pioneerstory.htm (accessed 18 July 2011).