Pennsylvania Deaths - What else you can try
This page will give you additional guidance and resources to find death information for your ancestor. Use this page after first completing the death section of the Pennsylvania Guided Research page.
Additional online resources
Additional Databases and Online Resources
- Pennsylvania Cemetery & Burial at FindMyPast ($)
- 1600s-2017: United States Obituary Notices at FindMyPast ($)
GenealogyBank Obituaries, 1980-2014
Online Images (Browsable Only)
Some collections have not been indexed, but are available to browse image by image.
|State||Time Period||Record Type||Collection Name||Repository|
|Pennsylvania||1700-1950||Cemetery & Burial||Pennsylvania Cemetery & Burial 1700-1950 Browse||FindMyPast ($)|
Additional Records with Death Information
Substitute records can contain information about more than one event, and are used when records for an event are not available. Because the substitute records may not be created at the time of the event, it may contain incorrect information. Search for as many substitute records as possible to corroborate information found in substitute records to help improve accuracy.
|Use these substitute records to locate death information about your ancestor:|
|Why to search the records|
|Gravestone inscriptions and cemetery records may include a death date.|
|Church death and burial records may be available when civil death records cannot be found. To access church records, first determine the denomination.|
|Newspapers contain obituaries and death notices. They often include the death date and place of the deceased.|
|Obituaries list date and place of death for the deceased. More recent obituaries may also list other deceased family members.|
|May include death information for servicemen.|
|Family Bibles may include dates and places of death for family members, however the accuracy of this information is contingent upon when the information was recorded.|
Tips for finding deaths
Successfully finding death records in online databases depends on a few key points. Try the following search suggestions:
- Spelling variations. Your ancestor's name may be misspelled. Search with spelling variations for the first and last name of your ancestor.
- Search given name. Search by given name (leave out the last name) with the approximate date of birth or death.
- Add information. For common names, add more information to narrow the search such as approximate birth date or parent's names if known.
- Date range. Expand the date range of the search by 5 years.
- Search state. Search using the state name only instead of by county.
Why the record may not exist
Known Record Gaps
- 1906 Statewide Registration.
- 1916 Compliance to Statewide Registration.
The following counties had record loss. Click on the county for more information.