|Guatemala Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Guide to Guatemala ancestry, family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, church records, parish registers, and civil registration.
Getting Started with Guatemala Research
Links to articles on getting started with Guatemala research.
Guatemala Research Tools
Links to articles and websites that assist in Guatemala research.
Finding Your Ancestors' Town in Guatemala
- Genealogical records are organized by geographical locality. Civil registration (government birth, marriage, and death records) and church records (christenings/baptisms, marriages, and burials) were kept at the local level. To search these records, you must know the town where your ancestors lived.
- If you do not know your ancestors' town, follow the advice in the Wiki article, Guatemala Finding Town of Origin, to search a variety of records that might provide that information.
Guatemala Clickable Map
Genealogy records are kept on the local level in Guatemala. Click on a department in the map for instructions and links to records for the department. By hovering over the number, you can verify the name of the department.
Genealogy records are kept on the local level in Guatemala. Click on a place below to go to the corresponding Wiki article listing more information.
The largest jurisdictions in Guatemala are called 'Departments' (departamentos). These are analogous to States or Provinces in other countries. There are 22 Departments of Guatemala.
Below are FamilySearch resources that can assist you in researching your family.
- Facebook Communities - Facebook groups discussing genealogy research
- Historical Records
- Family History Center locator map
- Search page
- Introduction to Hispanic Research
- U.S. Hispanic Immigration
- U.S. Hispanic Immigrants: Finding their Place of Origin
- Improve your Search Results in FamilySearch Hispanic Records
- Reading Spanish Handwritten Records:
- Lesson 1: The Spanish Alphabet
- Lesson 2: Words and Dates
- Lesson 3: Reading Spanish Records
- Hispanic Online Resources
- Wikipedia contributors, "Guatemala," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guatemala, accessed 29 April 2016.