Grundy County, Iowa Genealogy
Guide to Grundy County, Iowa ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Grundy County, Iowa|
Location in the state of Iowa
Location of Iowa in the U.S.
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Parent County
- 5 Boundary Changes
- 6 Record Loss
- 7 Places/Localities
- 8 Populated Places
- 9 Neighboring Counties
- 10 Resources
- 11 Cemeteries
- 12 Census
- 13 Church
- 14 Court
- 15 Land
- 16 Local Histories
- 17 Maps
- 18 Military
- 19 Newspapers
- 20 Probate
- 21 Taxation
- 22 Vital Records
- 23 Societies and Libraries
- 24 Sources and Footnotes
Grundy County, Iowa Record Dates
HistoryFelix Grundy (1777-1840).
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Town/city records in the FamilySearch Catalog
- Jasper, Marshall, and Grundy Counties, Iowa Biographical Dictionary at Ancestry.com ($)
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Iowa Cemeteries for more information.|
Iowa recorded not only the federal census but state census through out the years too. The state census contains very valuable genealogical information. Where the census information can be found, what years it was taken, mortality schedules, census substitutions and much more is discussed in the very informative Iowa Census article. State Census
- 1895 - Iowa State Census, 1895 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1905 - Iowa State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1915 - Iowa State Census, 1915 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1925 - Iowa State Census. 1925 at FamilySearch — index and images
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Iowa Church Records.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Iowa Land and Property for additional information about early Iowa land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Grundy County, Iowa Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Iowa Local Histories.
- Strohbehn, Fred. From tall grass prairies to huge grainfields : 150 years of Grundy County farm changes, farming, producing and trading livestock. Reinbeck, Iowa : F. Strohbehn, 2006.
- Online at FamilySearch (Free)
- Beckman, E. H. A history of Grundy County from the earliest records up to July 4th, 1876 : a valuable and exhaustive collection.... Grundy Center, Iowa : Atlas Print, 1876.
- Online at FamilySearch (Free)
- Portrait and Biographical Record of Jasper, Marshall and Grundy Counties, Iowa, Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens of the Counties. Chicago, IL, USA: Biographical Publishing, 1894. Online at: Ancestry.com ($)
- Iowa USGS Topographic
Choose Airport, Bridge, Building, Cemetery, Church, Civil, Hospital, Lake, Locale, Park, Populated Place, Post Office, School, Stream, Summit, Trail
- 1861 - 1949 - Iowa, Grand Army of the Republic Membership Records, 1861-1949 at FamilySearch — index and images
- NewspaperArchive.com ($) has historical newspapers online including Waterloo newspapers that may have included Grundy County residents. This database is free at some libraries.
- The Grundy Register. 1931, 1950, and 1952. Grundy Center, IA, USA. Online at: Ancestry.com ($)
Online Probate Records
In most counties in Iowa, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Iowa - Grundy - Probate records.
Iowa tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Tax lists were usually made every year, however, there may be gaps of several years. For more information, see the wiki page Iowa Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Iowa Department of Public Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also How to order Iowa Vital Records or order electronically online.
- 1850-1990 - Iowa, Deaths and Burials 1850-1990 at FamilySearch - index
- 1880-1992 - Iowa, County Death Records, 1880-1992 at FamilySearch — index
- 1921-1940 - Iowa, Death Records, 1921-1940 at FamilySearch — index and images
Societies and Libraries
Grundy County Genealogical Society
18419 205th Street
Grundy Center, IA 50638-8733
Grundy County Historical Society
Grundy Center, IA 50638
Wellsburg Historical Foundation
P.O. Box 490
Wellsburg, Iowa 50680
Ostfriesian Heritage Society
1207 Ninth Street
Grundy Center, Iowa 50638-1206
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
| Check back often with these websites. Internet offerings are growing at record rates.
Local societies and libraries may know of other websites.
|State Historical Society of Iowa||Free||list and links to data and "hard copy" material - results of "grundy county" placed in search box|
|The Iowa Heritage Digital Collection||Free||digital images from a variety of Iowa cultural institutions - results of "grundy county" in the search box|
|State Library of Iowa||Free||electronic depository of documents intended for the general public produced by Iowa agencies - results of "grundy county" in the search box|
|IAGenWeb Project||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions|
|USGenWeb Archives||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|genealogytrails.com||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions|
|  FamilySearch||Free||Births, 1880-1935; Deaths 1880-1992; Marriages, 1838-1934; all indexes|
|RootsWeb Resources||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|Linkpendium||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|CyndisList||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|Grundy County IA at LDS Genealogy||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|StateofUS.com||Free||family history resources and government records|
Books, microfilm, or manuscripts of genealogical records
|FamilySearch Catalog||Select topics. To select towns, add a comma to the search box.|
|WorldCat||To find nearby libraries that have specific items, see WorldCat Online Catalog.|
|Allen County Public Library||located in Indiana They are heavily involved in digitizing.|
|GeneaBloggers||enter "Iowa" in search box to see list and links to Iowa blogs|
|Google+||list of groups from "iowa genealogy" search|
|list of groups from "Iowa Genealogy" search|
|genealogy.com||Grundy County, IA Genealogy Forum|
|ancestry.com||Grundy County Message Board|
Sources and Footnotes
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 225-231. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- "Felix Grundy," Wikipedia.